Does Botox Offer Long Term Benefits?

Is Botox a pause button? And does it retrain muscles to the extent that I will have less visible wrinkles upon cessation of Botox cosmetic? I assume that if a muscle atrophyies because it hasn't been used for 10 years, combined with other muscles growing dominant - that the effect could be lasting without the use of Botox? If paralyzed muscles haven't developed, will the wrinkles simply return to what they were before Botox use, or will they return as if Botox was never used? Thanks!

Long term benefits of Botox

+2

You ask an excellent question. In general the effects of Botox wear off after several months and patient's muscle return to their normal activity. However, If one were to start using Botox early on, it is quite possible one could prevent the development of those permanently indented lines that occur from chronic frowning, raising one's forehead or crow's feet. This is what you might hear when doctor's discuss the difference between static lines as opposed to dynamic facial lines. Botox works best against dynamic lines whereas static lines are those lines present even when the muscle is at rest. Another possible long term benefit from chronic usage of Botox is that your face may be trained to use other facial expressions when you are anxious or stressed etc. For some the need to frown, raise ones forehead is an ingrained habit that could be broken. This though would probably take many years of treatment before this benefit is seen and is only speculative in nature.

Long Island Dermatologist

Does Botox offer long term benefits?

+2

Yes, Botox and Dysport offer long term benefits. For some , the injections break the habit of frowning or teeth grinding. For others, the process of injecting gradually mnimizes the tendency to do these. However, it does not get rid of these habits so the injections need to be maintained.

For other injections, such as for increased sweating, the treatments offer improvement that lasts for up to six months. In some instances, the injections can last longer

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Long term botox

+2

While your thought process is logical it doesn't seem to work that way. The muscle function and wrinkles will return. It's probably because unlike muscle atrophy that occurs when a nerve is cut and the entire muscle is permanently denervated, with Botox there is probably always some degree of muscle activity at motor end plates not totally blocked as well as recovery going on at a variable rate. As the effect wears off it may not be enough to spoil the effect until that reaches a critical level of recovery but it's still enough to prevent permanent atrophy.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox can work like a pause button.

+2

I believe you are correct when you mention Botox working like a pause button.  It will reverse time a little (wrinkles that took years to develop improve), but once you stop, you will move forward again.  Now, will they return to what they were before you started?  Well, I think this depends on how long you have been consistently using botox.  I have found that with chronic users of botox, static wrinkles (wrinkles present even when you stretch the skin) do improve.  If you have enough improvement, then it would take time for the muscle to return to its strength after prolonged paralysis and the skin would have to develop the wrinkle with time.  However, they would ultimately return.  

This is all speculative based on experience, but I believe that there is some truth to that.  However, no real data.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Botox give long term benefits?

+2

No, Botox and Dysport will temporarily reduce unwanted lines and wrinkles but once you no longer use these products, the effects will decrease and ultimately be gone completely allowing the miuscles and lines to return as they were before the toxins were used. 

Are there long term benefits from Botox?

+2

It's true that with longer term use, the muscles get smaller and there is less Botox required.  When Botox is not used for a long time, the function of the muscle will return as will the wrinkles caused by its action.  It may take some time to develop them again because of the decreased bulk of the muscle, but eventually it will come back.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Long Term Benefits from Botox

+2

Botox Cosmetic provides temporary softening of the underlying muscles which helps reduce overlying dynamic wrinkles - wrinkles which occur with movement of the muscle.  Over time, there is also an effect on the static wrinkles - wrinkles which are present at rest.  When you stop using Botox, the dynamic wrinkles return.  However, there are benefits from the long term use of Botox which include reducing stress on your skin and helping the reduction of static wrinkles.  However, most of the benefits of Botox are temporary and relate to the mechanism discussed above.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Wrinkles can disappear with botox but return less apparent after botox cessation

+1

If the botox is stopped, after it has been regularly used for many years, the muscles will awaken and as they contract the skin overlying will crease and wrinkle again, but the lines won't appear as bad as they were prior to the botox first being used.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox Fort Lauderdale

+1
That really is a great analogy. The truth is that the muscles injected do atrophy to some degree depending on the amount injected & time intervals. I will frequently recommend my patients alternate during their sessions going lighter in a region we may have gone heavier before to allow for recovery of resting tone.

Will Richardson, MD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Benefits

+1

All good feedback from panel members.  While it's true that, consistent use of Botox & Dysport lends to possibly longer duration or less dosing, our faces are designed to animate.  Hence, maintenance treatments to maintain desired outcomes are a expected.  However, most will agree that this is a good, long-term investment in one's appearance.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD