Botox for Neck Pain?

I've tried most treatments over the years, but none have been successful. My neck is always aching and cracking and clicking, and sometimes feels like a skeleton. When the neck is stiff, it causes me terrible headaches and an upset stomach.Pills from doctors don't work and I'm at my wits end. I was told surgery would be too dangerous. Please help.

Visit with a neurologist stat!

+2

Johnny,

As you probably are aware the best choice upfront is to visit with a neurologist and consider either an MRI or spinal xrays to ensure that you are not suffering from joint disease, spinal arthritis or other anatomic problems that would likely cause cracking, clicking and the feelings you are discovering. Avoid going to a chiropractor or other non-medical professional that can sometimes cause more harm than good.Ultimately, you may discover that physical therapy or medication trials are the best route. Botox has been found to be helpful in patient's suffering from specific types of Migraine headaches but these are not commonly associated with physical neck symptoms. However, a neurologist may discover a specific overaction of muscular function and make other recommendations.

Dr. Pryor

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for head/neck pain or migraines.

+1

It is emerging that Botox may help severe, unremitting (not occasional) migraines. It has been known that Botox can help with a condition known as torticollis (a neck muscle spasm causing neck twisting). If you have chronic neck pain and suspect muscles might be involved, see a qualified and experienced neurologist or neurosurgeon to discuss whether Botox may be right for you.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Botox For Neck Pain

+1

Hi,

I think the most important thing is to see an neurologist or orthopaedic spine surgeon.  It sounds like you have seen and tried many treatments in the past.  The key is to isolate the cause of your pain via nerve conduction studies, CT or MRI.  If your problem is due to slipped or bulging disks I am not sure Botox will help you.  Botox generally only helps for neck pain if their is a muscle component of the pain.  I wilsh you the best of luck and with the specialists you choose to see.

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Neck Pain

+1

It would be best for you to see a pain specialist and if you do decide to try Botox, please see a Board Certified physician who has experience in non-traditional uses of Botox.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Botox good for some types of neck pain

+1

Botox is a molecule that can be injected around muscles to help them relax. There has been good results obtained in using Botox in the neck at muscle trigger points. These are areas of muscle that may be subject to spasm and may initiate a chain reaction that could result in neck pain or even a migraine. However, the most important first step is to visit with a neurologist to determine if muscular neck pain is indeed the source of your pain. A neurologist or a primary care provider will be able to carefully assess you and determine if there are other reasons for your pain such as bone pain or joint pain. This needs to be determined as Botox will never help with the symptoms from these causes.

For more information on Botox or to schedule an iConsult, please visit us online at: 

Pat Pazmino, MD

Botox can be an option for neck pain

+1

Only a neurologist would really know the answer to this question for sure.  If the cracking and clicking you noted is also associated with muscle spasm in the neck, it's possible that Botox may be an option.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

BOTOX for neck pain

+1

BOTOX for neck pain which leads to headaches may very well be helpful. BOTOX is a safe and effective treatment in the right hands, and so it would certainly be worth a try. Particularly if there is tension or spasm in the neck, the BOTOX can help alleviate and hopefully reduce the severity and amount of such neck stiffness episodes.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox is only good for spasm

+1

I would advise you to go to the right neurologist or neurosurgeon to be evaluated for your neck pain. Botox is only good for spasm.

BOTOX FOR NECK PAIN

+1

As far as I know, BOTOX is not currently being used for neck pain. However, if your pain is associated with localized spasm of the muscle, it is not unreasonable to think that BOTOX might effectively relax this spasm thus reducing your pain. My recommendation is to consult with a local neurologist experienced in the use of BOTOX and proceed accordingly.

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon