Botox to Correct Prominent Neck Muscles?

The two muscles from my chin to my clavicle are very prominent. Is there anything I can do about it? The skin on my neck is thin, and when I see pictures, these muscle bands are all I see.

I'm thin, but I've seen this problem on other women my age (50) who are heavier that I am. Also, why do people have Botox injections in their neck? If it would relax these muscles, maybe it's worth a try?

I'd skip the Botox and have a neck lift done

+2

Save your money and don't spend it on ample amounts of Botox that need to be repeated every 4 months. I would advise that you go to an excellent Board Certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of neck lift work and be evaluated. These muscles can be easily eliminated in their appearance with surgery with a simple 2 week recovery.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Botox done correctly can be effective

+2

Botox can improve the appearance of these platysmal bands. In my experience, this is particularly true in thin patients. A surgical procedure is generally more effective and longer lasting.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox corrects neck muscle bands.

+2

Hi! You sound like an ideal candidate for Botox because the bands seem to be an isolated problem (no excess fat, etc.). The neck is one of the more common areas that we treat with Botox. The platysma muscles of the neck relax, and the bands fade markedly.

The results can be dramatic, but they only last about 4 months. And the neck muscles are BIG. That means that we have to use a lot of Botox (50 to 75 units) each time. So the treatments get expensive. And the Botox has to be injected skillfully to get good results and to avoid complications.

A much more permanent approach is a good neck lift, which corrects the neck muscle bands for at least 10 years and probably longer.

Botox inplaytsma

+1

Botox injected into the platysma may soften the bands a bit.  It is not a procedure done instead of having a neck lift.

Some people get improvement with Botox

+1

Botox does work well in some people with these bands of the Platysma muscle to have them become less prominent. It may last for 5 to 6 months. It doesn’t work equally well on all patients. With your thin skin, you might get a wonderful result but a surgical neck lift, although involving more risk, can produce a long term beautiful result.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com

It's a good temporary fix

+1

I feel for your situation. Botox is an excellent temporary fix for platysmal banding. Not all plastic surgeons are able to due this procedure. What you might think about it getting a submental neck rejuvenation. Over the long term it would probably be more cost effective.

Be sure to see several board certified plastic surgeons before making your decision.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Stick your neck out

+1

Dear Golf,
Botox is injected into the neck to flatten the bands that you describe. It is very effective for this condition, but it is not an FDA approved use. See a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with Botox used in the neck. Good luck!

Botox is great for neck bands.

+1

Botox is great for neck bands, however it usually takes between 75 and 100 units to knock out the bands. This many units may be cost-prohibitive if you are also getting Botox for your face. It all depends on how much you want to invest in your treatment. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.TheBestBotox.com

Botox injection in the neck bands helps

+1

The bands on the neck can be improved with Botox injection. Depending on the number of bands 50-75 units may be injected. The improvement generally lasts 3-4 months. You also need to make sure that the physician injector has done this before so you won't run into any problems such as difficulty swallowing.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox can offer a solution, but surgery is another option

+1

Botox as described can work to diminish the prominence of the bands. However, I have found that it works best in individuals that have active muscles. You can see this in people who contract this muscle with speaking. Occasionally, this will be insufficient to reduce the bands satisfactorily because of the associated skin laxity. In certain individuals, the loose neck skin/muscle bands may be bettter managed with removal of skin via a neck lift.