Prevent Nasolabial Folds Appearance After Botox?

I had 20cc of Botox for my crows feet. Now I feel like the nasolabial folds are going to start to come in from the smile muscles atrophying. What creams or treatment would you recommend?

This is a very interesting question. When Botox is...

+2

This is a very interesting question.

When Botox is placed in the crow's feet area, this causes the orbicularis muscle to relax. The cheek can actually descend, resulting in a deepening of the nasolabial fold. Especially when more and more Botox is used in an attempt to combat crow's feet wrinkles, this problem becomes more severe over the years.

This effect can be counteracted by placing hyaluronic acid fillers into the nasolabial region, and often in the eye-cheek junction as well.

But more importantly, it underscores the need not to ask too much of fillers and Botox, because at the aesthetic limits, artifact such as the one you are describing starts to appear.

A skillful plastic surgeon will guide you through the pitfalls, and know when other treatments may benefit you than just Botox or filler.

Botox does not cause deeper naso-labial furrows

+1

I been Botox over 15 years and have never seen it result in the problem you are worried about.  Perhaps a more youthful rested appearing upper face may make one more cognizant of concerns related to the lower face?

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon