I Had Botox on my Forehead and 2 Days After I Got Sunburned. Now It Feels Numb and Puffy. Is It Dangerous? Should I Go to Doc?

Botox and sunburn

+1

I'm not sure the two could be related but not wearing a good sunscreen is probably an issue if you're using cosmetic Botox to soften lines. Those lines worsen by sun damage - use an SPF to protect your skin is essential to wrinkle reduction.

Burn After Botox

+1

I don't think that it is necessary to go to the doctor over this. Just keep the burn moisturized. If you are overly concerned, it may be a good idea to visit a physician if this doesn't correct itself with time.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Botox and sunburn

+1

Botox shouldn't be affected by a sunburn.  The botox will have diffused into the tissues, which are much deeper than the epidermis and dermis layers of the skin where a sunburn happens. Sunburns will, however, cause accelerated aging of the skin and should be avoided if you are trying to prevent fine lines and wrinkles from occurring.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

No relation from Botox injections to a bad sunburn

+1

It is unlikely that your sun exposure symptoms are related to Botox.  Botox only weakens the muscles of the forehead it does not effect the nerves that supply sensation.  Continue to treat this as a normal sunburn.  Vitamin C cream can be beneficial as a sunburn recovery.  

Botox and sunburn

+1

The numbness and puffiness are not related to the Botox but, instead, are a consequence of the sunburn.  Premature facial aging is directly correlated to sun exposure so you are basically shooting yourself in the foot if you tan or burn and do not use sunscreen.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Sunburn and Botox

+1

Hi Tsvet.  Thanks for your question.  There would be no link between the sunburn and how your Botox is looking, feeling or working.  Botox will not be affected by sunburn.

It is quite common for new Botox patients to note a heaviness or numbness to the forehead after their injections.  The fact that the muscle is not working in the same way causes this feeling.  Everything you are describing would be normal from our perspective.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Sunburned after Botox

+1

There aren't dangers between a sunburn and Botox, though I would tell you to always be careful in the sun, as the sun's rays are ultimately what cause a lot of the wrinkles you are treating with Botox. The puffiness and numbness is from the sunburn and has no relation to the Botox. You should treat your sunburn with cool water and hydrocortisone. And wear sunscreen!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Sunburn after getting Botox - no adverse effects

+1

You don't have to worry at all about adverse effects from the sunburn on the Botox.  You should watch the sun better though because this will age the skin prematurely.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

No Need to Worry

+1

I can totally understand your concern, but no need to worry.  The numbness you are experiencing is probably from the sunburn.  Getting a sunburn on the skin after Botox is not recommended, but then again, sunburns are never recommended because they damage the skin.  Your Botox will be fine. 

James E. Lovett, III, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Botox and a sunburn

+1

Your sunburn had no effect on your Botox treatment, but did cause the numbness and puffiness.  You should always protect your skin from the sun, regardless of whether you have Botox or not.  If you are still having problems, please see your doctor to manage your sunburn. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist