Is Botox for Migraines Covered by Major Medical Insurance?

I have had migraines for over 30 years. Sometimes every night in spring and fall. Will blue cross blue shield cover the cost? What medical documents do I need to take to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Will Botox for Migraines Be Covered by Major Medical Insurance

+2

The simple answer is yes. But I'm finding the majority of the insurers are refusing reimbursement to plastic surgeons since we are not internist or neurologist with detailed headache records on the patient. So for migrane therapy use a non plastic surgeon, for cosmetic Botox therapy ONLY use a Plastic Surgeon or Dem. 

Botox for migraine headaches is FDA approved

+1

Although the FDA approved Botox for migraine headaches, your best bet to get it covered by medical insurance is to have it injected by a neurologist. They can justify the treatment with proper medical therapy, and if that doesn't help, recommend Botox and do the tedious paperwork to get your insurance company to authorize the injections for reimbursement.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox and migraines

+1

Botox can help migraines in some individuals, but I do not know if the insurance companies will cover this indication.  You'll have to check.

Botox for migraines

+1

Even though the FDA has approved Botox for the treatment of migraines, insurance companies do not have to cover the cost of the procedure or include it in individual coverages.  Hopefully with time, most if not all insurance companies will cover this very effective treatment for migraines.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

Insurance coverage of Migraines with botulinum toxin

+1

This was recently approved as a recognized treatment option and so the reimbusement patterns have not been not been completely elucidated. 

Botox Cosmetic for Migraine Headaches - Insurance Coverage

+1

Hi redbone5153 in Mcdonough, GA,

The FDA only recently approved the use of Botox for chronic migraine patients, even though Botox has been used for years to help headaches. Insurance coverage largely depends on your insurance benefits with your insurance provider. It's best to ask your insurance company. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for migraines

+1

coverage depends on many factors, most importantly : medical necessity/treatment failures and insurance coverage. You are better served calling your insurance company and finding out what your coverage is, and what you would need to do/who you would need to see to help get the procedure covered. 

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Botox for migraine prophylaxis

+1

As you can see, it depends on your location and your insurance plan, as well as some of the coding used by your provider.  In Wisconsin, it doesn't matter what kind of doc you are, ie there is no bias against plastic surgeons.  That's because botox for migraines can be performed by rehab med docs, neurologists, chronic pain docs, anesthesia, or internal medicine.  My suggestion, however, is to stick with "core" physicians for those with the most experience with botox: plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, oculoplastic surgery, or dermatology.

Overall trends regarding insurance coverage are on the decline.  In my experience here in Wisconsin, we fought for coverage and saw steady iimprovement from the late 1990's through mid 2000's.  In the last three years that has clearly been reversed, to the point that it is exceptional to get coverage at this point.  Sad, but true.  Especially since it is effective for those properly screened,  in the majority of cases.  Most patients also had to first  prove "failure or significant side effects" using other meds like beta blockers and imitrex. 

Call the benefits number on the back of your insurance card and ask them directly if Botox for migraines is a covered expense, as well as if there are restrictions (provider, frequency, proof of prior treatments). 

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will Botox for migraines be covered by insurance?

+1

What procedures a particular health insurance plan covers is usually up to the plan administrators, therefore no one can say with certainty, whether they will cover Botox for migraines.

Insurance companies very rarely cover procedures that are not FDA-approved.

The good news is that now that Botox is now approved for migraines by the FDA.  What I would recommend is that you contact the benefits division of your insurance company and ask whether they cover this procedure, what's the amount of coverage (do they cover 100% or 70%, for example), and what is required by the patient and by the doctor to obtain such coverage.

Often, Botox for hyperhidrosis, for example, requires a letter of medical necessity from the doctor, in addition to other means that were used to treat the migraines, and the proof that those other means failed.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for migraines

+1

Some insurance carriers may reimburse partially the cost for Botox for migraines. You would need to check with your individual insurer and they may grant precertification, however, they will tell you that they donot guarantee payment, even if they do precertify it.

Ronald Shelton, MD