Is botox making my eyelids vanish? (Photo)

This is the 2nd time I have had botox (glabella & forehead) with a new surgeon/injector. The 1st time I had drooping of one eyelid and a heavy feeling of the forehead. This time the injector said he would keep it high and put less in. Well, now both my eyelids are vanishing. I am a pin up model, so I wear retro make up (winged top lid eyeliner, and false eyelashes). It is so bad that there is hardly any eyelid to apply make up to, and it is impossible to create a wing effect. Is this normal?

Botox brow droop

+2
  • You are clearly very sensitive to Botox.
  • Wait until this treatment wears off and next time - be sure the glabella is injected between the brows only, not above and have the surgeon use half of what was used this time.
  • If your forehead is treated, do not treat the central forehead and for the sides, half the dose.
  • Once you know the dose it takes to respond, you and your surgeon can adjust to get the look you want. Best wishes.

Botox and vanishing eyelids

+2
Botox to the forehead is a trade-off. It weakens the muscles that normally raise your eyebrows and this reduces the lines on the forehead. However, the weakened forehead muscles may not hold your brows up adequately and this produces some hooding over your eyelids, partially obscuring them.
To compensate for this, botox can be injected at the same time into the glabella (as you have had done) and around the eyes. The effect of weakening the muscles in these areas is to raise the brows, counteracting the lowering effect of the forehead botox.
To get the balance right involves a lower dose to the forehead and a higher dose to the glabella and round the eyes.

Roy Ng, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Botox can lower the brow

+2
Botox in the forehead can do this. In the future you might want to have your glabellar area done and  do little or nothing in your forehead. See how that does and then you can add to the forehead if needed and see if the same thing then happens. I prefer to go really light on the forehead and try to avoid this problem. However , it is a trade off for having more movement/wrinkling.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox and the Eyes

+1
Botox can safely be injected into the wrinkles around the eyes and the forehead.  However, it appears in your case you have a small droop.  This droop will take several weeks to resolve.  The droop is caused by a combination of placement and dilution.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in Botox.

Michele S. Green, MD