Botox Only Lasted 6 Weeks

I got Botox injection 6wks ago-25units then a week later got 15 more in glabellar only. Botox seems to have 'worn off' & Dr suggests getting more. I've had it in the past, lasting 4 months & longer. All I've read says not to get it for 3mos. Was the Botox done improperly? diluted?

How Long Does Botox Last?

+2

Botox lasts typically 3-6 months, and this number varies greatly depending on the person. If you have a very strong and active glabella muscle, it may be true that you need more product. It could also be true that the Botox was improperly reconstituted, with more liquid than necessary injected as a dilution substance. I recommend checking back in with your doctor and seeing what he thinks, being that he knows your history w/ Botox. 

Some patients require more BOTOX than others to maintain results

+1

This can be a result of too small of a dose given at the time of your treatment. Some patients require more BOTOX than others to maintain results.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox lasts between 3 and 4 months in most people

+1

Botox lasts between 3 and 4 months in most people. In some it lasts even longer. There is definitely a variation in the length of benefit with each treatment. This does not mean that anything was done incorectly. However it is wise to only see a doctor who is highly trained in Botox use such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. See link below for more information.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

How long does Botox last?

+1

In general, Botox lasts between 3-5 months.  In some patients, it lasts longer.  In other patients, it lasts shorter.  This may be variable even in the same patient. (Botox may have lasted you 5 months the first time, but only 3 months the next time.)  Sometimes, if you receive a fewer number of units the effect will not last as long.  Other factors to consider include the dilution of the Botox and how old the Botox is.  In general, Botox can be stored for up to one month after being diluted.

Joshua Zeichner, MD

Lack of longevity with Botox injections

+1

For whatever reasons the results of Botox are not always consistent even among the same individuals when performed by the same practitioner. I would consider another attempt and if this is not satisfactory consider the use of Dysport. 

Botox dilution

+1
All botox is diluted. Only the number of units matter. As long as the botox was not diluted a month prior and the injections done correctly your result should be consistent, but I have had an occasional patient in whom the effect was different once without an explanation as to why. The next treatment went as well as usual.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Trust Your Botox Injector

+1

Hi,

God only knows.  Hopefully you have a good, trusting relationship with your injecting physician and it will be taken care of.  Otherwise, time to take your wrinkles elsewhere.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Probably too dilute

+1

The more you Botox yourself, the better it works with time. Studies show that continuous use of the toxin can decrease the appearance of wrinkles in the area in the long run. For the material to last less and less means the material is being too diluted or improperly stored.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist

Botox should last much longer than 6 weeks

+1

If you recieved a total of 40 units of Botox in the glabella over the course of just 1 week, then yes, I would expect it to last longer than 6 weeks. One question I would ask is whom injected the Botox, i.e. what type of physician. Facial plastic surgeons, plastic surgeons, dermatologists and occulo-plastic surgeons make up the 'core' group of physicians whom are most qualified to perform these procedures on the face.

The dilution question has little relevance if you were told you received 40 units. Botox comes in a vial that has to be reconstitued with saline, and we don't all reconstitute with the same volume of saline, so saying Botox was diluted or too diluted is irrelevant.

Scott M. Gayner, MD
Harrisburg Facial Plastic Surgeon