Botox Only Lasted Less Than 2 Months?

Why has my botox only lasted less than 2 months? Is this normal for some people?

For Lasting Results with Botox, the Correct Dose Must be Used

+1

Botox weakens muscles by interfering with the chemical messages sent to them by nerves. Eventually, the nerve will repair itself to a point that new chemical messages can be sent, allowing the muscle to begin to work again. For lasting results, the amount of Botox used must be enough to quiet all of the small nerves that direct the muscle activity. If too little Botox is used, the muscles may begin to work again, as in your case, in a month or two. Assuming that the correct muscles are treated, the effect usually lasts for 3-4 months. In your case, since this initially worked, it sounds as if the correct muscles were treated but perhaps a bit more Botox will be required at your next treatment to get a results that lasts for 3-4 months.  It seems that people who are very expressive "use up" Botox faster, by using the target muscle more.  This may stimulate the nerves to recover faster.  I hope that this explanation helps.

Sheldon Pollack, M.D. Toronto Cosmetic Skin Surgery Centre, Inc.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Duration of Botox effect

+1

Botox is the proprietary name for botulinum serotype A. It works by inhibiting the release of acetylcholine, an important neurotransmitter. The duration of Botox depends on the quantity used, the amount administered, and the amount the particular muscle is used. Patients typically see results lasting from four to five months.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

For Some Normal

+1

Botox works b;y blocking the transmission of acetylcholine ( this always seemed to be answer on physiology questions back in medical school) from the nerves to the affected muscle. Acetylcholine is a nurotransmitter that send a message to muscles telling them to contract. When Botox blocks the effect of acetylcholine, the muscle loses the ability to contract and relaxes. As a result, the wrinkled areas smooth out and softer.

With time the body finds a new area to transmitt acetylcholine. This causes the muscle to again contract and tense up. The wrinkle or line returns.

Some people evildently find this new area on the muscle more easily and the Botox does not last as long.

Perhaps, you were one of these people.

Also, it has been shown that the higher the concentration of Botox the longer the relaxing effect lasts. In other words, the the minimal dilution of Botox is used ( 1 cc dilution) the effect lasts about one month longer than the ( 5 cc dilution).

It is possible less units were given. Less units mean the muscle was knocked out less. Another possiblity is that the Botox might be "old". A final factor that I can think of is perhaps the Botox was not quite injected into the muscle precisely where it was intended.

I might return to your physician I ask them to inject a few more units. It seems to me that since you did receive 2/3' rds of your money's worth, it should be done at cost.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

It deponds on the patient and the # of Botox units

+1

The effect of the botox should last about three months. Some patients have hyperactive muscle . The other favtors is the # of units used . Check with your doctor.  Technique and knowledge of the facial muscle anatomy is important too.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon