I Had Botox Done Last Week, Which Resulted to a Droopy Right Eye. Can Squeezing Very Strongly the Eyes Improve the Situation?

Can a droopy eyelid improve with "squeezing the eyes"?

+1
No.  Unfortunately, tightly closing they eyes or massaging or manipulating the area in any other way will not improve the droopy eyelid from the Botox.

The droopy eyelid can be treated with Apraclonidine eye drops that may raise your eyelid up to 2mm. Be sure your prescribing physician discusses all the potential side-effects of the drops, such as "adrenaline-like" symptoms like anxiety or heart pounding; you may also experience eye irritation, eye dryness, and eye pain, amongst other symptoms. If these symptoms occur, you will likely need to take some lubricating eye drops, lower the dose, switch the eye-drops, or stop the drops altogether...

The good news is that this is not likely to be permanent. It WILL get better.

I would encourage you to seek the services of an experienced physician injector. I think the key lies in truly understanding the anatomy of the injected area, and more importantly the variability in the anatomy between patients -- for brows, the forehead, and anywhere else you plan on receiving a Botox injection. This includes having a firm understanding of the origin, insertion, and action of each muscle that will be injected, the thickness of each muscle targeted, and the patient variability therein. As an aesthetic-trained plastic surgeon, I am intrinsically biased since I operate in the area for browlifts and facelifts, and have a unique perspective to the muscle anatomy since I commonly dissect under the skin and see the actual muscles themselves. For me, this helps guide where to inject and where not to. However, with that said, I know many Dermatologists who know the anatomy well despite not operating in that area, and get great results.

Good luck.

Chestnut Hill Plastic Surgeon

+1

Ptosis or drooping eyelid after Botox will not improve with squeezing of the eye. There are some cases where after about 3-4 weeks patients see a small amount of improvement.  A prescription of iopidine 0.5% eye drops may help with the eye drooping.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Ptosis

+1

Sorry to hear about the droopy lid after Botox. Squeezing your eyelids will not help. Apraclonidine eye drops will help elevate the eyelid. This drop is preferred because phenylephrine drops can dilate your pupil, cause light sensitivity, and make reading difficult. With time, the ptosis will resolve.

Adam J. Cohen, MD
Skokie Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid droop after Botox

+1

Eyelid droop can happen after Botox but the good news is that it usually resolves itself way before the Botox wears off. You can get a prescription eye drop or use Naphcon A.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Ptosis after Botox treatment

+1

Apraclonidine or phenylephrine eyedrops will help to lessen the droopiness as the situation resolves.  Typically the ptosis (eyelid droop) will last only for a few weeks.  Unfortunately squeezing your eyes will not result in improvement.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Ptosis following Botox treatment

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. Apraclonidine eye drops can be´╗┐ used to help with eyelid ptosis following Botox treatment if the issue is with your eyelid. Apraclonidine is an alpha-andrenergic agonist eye drop. It can cause the muscles to contract, elevating the upper lid. Squeezing the eyes will not help. Thank you, and I hope this helps answer your question.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Eye droop from Botox

+1

I'm sorry this happened. Squeezing the eyes won't improve the situation. I'm unsure if you have a droop eyelid, or eyebrow, or both. But if it is the eyelid, there are prescription eyedrops available to help resolve this more quickly. Or time. Those are the options. Squeezing the eyes won't do anything helpful.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD