How Do I Know if my Doctor is Doing Proper Botox Injections?

I watched my doctor administer Botox and Juvederm injections to my upper lip for "smokers lines," and smile enhancement.

She seems scrutinizing, but what is she looking for and how do I know if she is going through appropriate measures?

Botox Injections

+1
Make sure it is done by a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, or Dermatologist.
Corpus Christi Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and fillers to lips

+1

Each doctor injects fillers and botox a bit differently.  Around the mouth seeing the lips pursed helps determine where the botox should be injected to soften the lines.

Correct administration of Botox

+1

Hi Tojill,

Normally, if your practitioner is scrutinizing your face and asking you to smile, pucker, etc. then they are trying to determine what to inject, how much to inject and where to inject it. Injection treatments are as much art as they are science and analyzing the skin tissue and facial musculature during treatment is very common.

Ultimately the results will determine if your practitioner is doing the right thing for you. If the results are good and the price is acceptable, you will see value in the treatments and return for more. If not, you may find someone new. Don't be worried so much about the details of the treatment but rather if you are happy with the end results. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/the-art-of-facial-shaping.aspx

Look at Botox results

+1

I think the answer is simple: Make sure you have a qualified physician doing the injection for you. Most importantly is the result; if you have a good consistent result that you like, it means that your doctor is doing a fine job.

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/botox/

Do you like your results?

+1

Having an art backround I spend a stupid amount of time doing botox and fillers. I sit patients up and down, have them lean forward and back. This tells me what I need to do. Not everyone is as neurotic about fillers. However, what is important is what you think of your results. If you're happy go back to her. If not go to someone else next time.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Check their credentials and look in the mirror

+1

Since you have already had the procedure, the first thing to consider is: do you like your result?

The result from a Botox injection should last about 3 months. The result from Juvederm should last about 6 months.

You should make sure that your doctor is using the genuine products.

Also, if the price is too cheap, be suspicious of excessive dilution (watering down) of the Botox.

I hope you find this information helpful. Good luck.

Make sure you are going to a qualified injector

+1

With Botox, as with any plastic surgery procedure, make sure you are going to a qualified person. Be very cautious with Botox injections around your mouth as an "overdose" can cause significant, but temporary, problems with your smile and with eating.

Web reference: http://www.TheBestBotox.com

Finding the right physician is crucial

+1

I agree with the other comments made on this question. If you want your car fixed, you don't just take it to any old mechanic. You usually get a referral from a friend, do a review on google, ask around. Then, if you are happy, you return to the same mechanic in the future. If you are unsure about your choice, maybe you just get an oil change and "try it out."

This is, in my opinion, a similar approach to choosing your physician. Look for a reputable plastic surgeon or dermatologist first. Ask friends, look at reviews on the web, check out websites. Get to familiarize yourself with the physician during the consultation. Ideally, you will like your physician and then... you will trust them. You will trust them because you have done your "homework."

Botox and Juvederm will disappear with time. If you are happy with your result, you will likely go back to the same physician. If you are unhappy, then you will likely find someone else. It is quite alright for your physician to walk around you, look at your lips and lines, think, walk around you some more. This "scrutiny" helps some of us come up with the best place to inject the different products and does not necessarily mean that your physician is unsure of what to do. I hope this helps and wish you good luck.

Do your homework

+1

In recent years, it seems as if people do more research on what flat screen TV, car, or camera to buy, than on who is doing their cosmetic injections. Almost daily I see poor results or unnecessary complications from uncertified or inexperienced injectors who are trying to get quick cash. First and foremost, go to an expert. Board certified dermatologists, plastic surgeons, and oculoplastic surgeons inject about 90% of all Botox. There is a reason for that: their residency training for certification includes facial anatomy, wound healing, and aesthetic training. I teach at Tulane and can attest to the advanced training we give our residents. Next , make sure they do a lot of Botox and filler. Platinum level or higher means the doctor injects a lot. No one could inject a lot of filler or Botox unless they were delivering good results consistently. Botoxcosmetic.com and other similar physician finder web sites often will give this detailed information. Ask to see their patient results, not just a brochure that can be purchased. Check out the doctors web site to see there work as well. Go with your instincts. Patients can usually sense when the doctor is uncertiain or insecure and this should be a red flag.

Web reference: http://www.drmarylupo.com

New Orleans Dermatologist

If you love your results, you have the right doctor

+1

Dear Tojilll

There are many different ways to perform BOTOX and Juvederm treatments. However, you are the best judge of the results. If you love the effect created by your doctor, then you are good. If you are not satisfied with the results, find a new treating physician. There is no lack of physicians and surgeons who perform these services. Credentials are important but more important is the actual work performed by the doctor.