Follow-ups for New Botox and Juvederm Patients

Is it common to want to see a new patient within a few weeks following their first treatments of Botox and Juvederm, or is it more common to just allow the patient to call should there be a situation?

2 weeks is the common practice

+2

A really good doctor wants the results to be perfect (or close to it), so we see people back at 2 weeks, especially for new patients. There is no charge for that visit and it allows us to make sure the response to Botox is even. At that visit, other areas of concern can be address, or some additional Juvederm injected ("topping off the tank"). Of course, there would be a charge for more filler, but typically if you need a small adjuxtment of Botox that is free. Treating a new area with Botox would also result in a charge in most cases.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Have follow-ups if you're a new Botox orJuvederm patient

+2

I agree with Drs. Oppenheim and Placik. I like to see my patients in 2 weeks to see how we did and see if a touch up is needed. We do NOT charge for such a visit. Most patients do not come back feeling that it is not necessary. Instead, they return when they need another treatment. In so doing, I feel some MAY be accepting an average result instead of a superior result.

Time for follow up after fillers and botulinum toxin

+2

I agree with Dr. Oppenheim. I typically request that a patient return for a follow up and assessment 2 weeks after their first treatment. The vast majority of patients, consider this an incovenience and elect not to return until they need an additional treatment.

Two week follow up a good practice for new Botox and Juvederm patients

+2

When our patients come in for fillers or Botox, they sign an informed consent that states that they will return in two weeks for a free evaluation. Most don't, but I still think it is a good idea.

If a patient has ANY dissatisfaction whatsoever, this can usually be corrected quite easily. I would rather the patient be 100% pleased with their procedure than walk around slightly displeased.

A month or so ago, I placed Botox in a mother and daughter. When the mother returned for filler, she was quite happy with her Botox result, but when I asked her about her daughter she mentioned she was pleased but that her lateral brow rode up slightly. She told me her daughter thought it minor and did not want to bother me. I said, "Don't be silly" have her come in." She did. One unit, fixed it and she was very happy.

Nearly all physicians take pride in their work, and want their patients to not merely be happy but thrilled with the result. We appreciate it when patients return in order for us to give them the perfect result.

So, yes, it is common to ask patients to return for a two week follow-up.

I figure, if there is a "situation" I will find out about sooner than a week!

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Follow Up Appointments after Injections?

+1

Hi Butterfly.  This is a great question and we think it really gets to the point of the difference between a quality practitioner and one that is not.  We always schedule new patients for a follow up regardless of the injection treatment they have undergone.  

We do this because we have found that first time patients have no idea what to expect and when faced with results that they do not understand or are unhappy with so often they do nothing.  We have met with hundreds of patients that have said they went to another practice only to never return after the first visit because they did not like something about the result or the visit itself.  We want our patients to be satisfied with their results so we ask them to come to make sure they are.

To really understand your patients and to follow up with them correctly, a visit 1-2 weeks after the initial injections should be scheduled.  It is just a prudent way to develop and extend the trust that should be evident between patient and practitioner.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Follow up for new Botox and filler patients when needed

+1

Botox, fillers are a procedure like any other one does to their patients. It is mandatory to follow up on the results, patient concerns, effectiveness, and touch ups when needed. It also establishes a good patient doctor relationship.

Botox and Juvederm patients follow-up once depressions and creases are visible again

+1

Assuming that the results of Botox and Juvederm administrations are successful with one treatment, I advise patients to return when they see the facial depressions return and when they see the forehead movement creating the creases and furrows once again. If I see that patients will require more than one session for fillers, I will give them appropriate appointments. In general, however, I do not routinely tell patients to return for treatments at set intervals and I do not send reminder notices. These practices are tacky and pushy. These are cosmetic procedures that from which patients derive significant benefit. If they want it, need it and if they are pleased with my services, they are encouraged to all to return.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Restylane follow ups depend on new patients

+1

Really depends on the patient and if they are nervous. If it’s their first time coming in we could always have them come in 2 weeks after Botox since it takes about 2 to 7 days to activate. Filler patients can always come back in a few weeks for the area to be evaluated. We are sure to mention if the patient has any concerns, to call the office and come in to see the physician.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Follow up for new Botox, Dysport, Juvederm or Restylane

+1

It is a good idea to see our patients about a month after Botox, Dysport, Juvederm or Restylane after the first treatment. This helps me gauge the response in terms of the units or volume used and help me determine the best dose for the next treatment if my patients desire more effect. It is not mandatory, and some people don't have time in their busy schedule so I then tell them to call me if they have any concerns or if they desire more treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Follow up is a good practice

+1

Botox takes 2 weeks to reach its maximal efficacy. I see all my new Botox patients 2 weeks after their appointment to answer questions and examine for any slight asymmetries that may be corrected. It is important to communicate with your plastic surgeon with any concerns regarding injectibles and fillers. Often times issues may be resolved easily at no or little additional cost.

Michael Baroody, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon