Botox Jaw Reduction from Tmj In Right Masseter?

Had large masseter in right jaw and noticed botox helps with is. Saw someone last week who injected 20 units in my right jaw and 15 units in left- though not sure why. Seems like my right would have needed more. Anyway already noticed a difference but the doctor didnt tell me what to expect after. I have read many articles it could be permanent after 2-3 treatments, but need to know where to go from here for best outcome long term if not permanent. How many more times, # units next time &when..

Masseter muscle reduction with Botox required repeat treatments

+1

The problem is asa often asymmetric as it is symmetric and the treating physician may want to inject more on one side than the other. In regards to your question about the follow up, expect to get muscle bulk reduction and also maintenance injections with Botox to maintain masseter muscle reduction.

Buffalo General Surgeon

BOTOX for reducing masseter muscle size

+1

Thanks for your question

Botox to the masseter muscle can help achieve a more natural facial contour if the patient has hypertrophic or hyperactive masseter muscles.  It is not uncommon that one side of the masseter muscle is larger then the other requiring more Botox to that side. It is important for any injector to evaluate the muscles carefully to make the decision on how many units need to be injected into each muscle. This requires technical expertise and a keen eye. I would recommend always seeking out a board-certified doctor for injections in more advanced areas such as the masseter muscle. The muscle can weaken and shrink in size after repeated injections allowing you to space your injections out farther. However BOTOX is not a permanent treatment. 

Best of luck

Sachin Parikh MD 

Sachin S. Parikh, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Every 3 or 4 Months For Masseteric Debulking

+1

In general, Botox will be needed every 3 or 4 months for masseteric debulking for continued effect.  There may some residual atrophy accrued as a result of years of injection.

Larger masseter and botox

+1

Botox is not permanent and treating the Masseter muscle for hypertrophy requires regular injections so that the muscle shrinks.

Botox for TMJ

+1

I agree with the other physicians that no Botox is permanent. However, you might not be totally incorrect in your information about this. If we repeatedly inject these muscles in someone who has a habit of overusing them then not being able to use the muscles might break the habit. If so, there will not be strong development of these muscles again. This is a little different from the usual use where we are stopping the facial muscles that are uses regularly for expression, squinting etc. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox for jaw muscles isn't permanent

+1

Botox isn't permanent, no matter what muscles it's injected into. Some people do have asymmetry in which case you can inject more units into one side, than into the other. While 5 units may not seem like a big difference to the consumer, it's actually a good number of unit difference. The reason that some people call it "permanent" is that the muscle will atrophy after several rounds so it may not need treatments as often. However, if you did 3 or 4 treatments (every 6 months or so) and then you stopped for awhile, the muscle would go back to the way it was. So, it's not permanent, but over time, it may require either less units, or longer duration in between treatments.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox for masseter muscles

+1

In most people, the size of the masseter muscles is about the same on both sides, so the same amount would be used on both sides.  If there is a difference in size from side to side, then it would not be unusual to use more on one side than the other.  Botox treatments normally last from three to six months and sometimes longer in some people, but the effect would not be permanent.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox injection to reduce masseter muscle size and/or hyperactivity

+1

Botox injections can be used to help reduce masseter muscle size and/or hyperactivity.  If one muscle is stronger or larger than the other it may require a few more units of Botox to achieve better symmetry.   Botox injected for this purpose can last for six months or substantially longer.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Botox and masseter reduction

+1

Botox is injected into the masseter muscles for TMJ and/or masseter reduction resulting in sometimes more pleasing facial contour. More units on one side versus the other would be done due to larger size musculature.

Sam Naficy, MD