Iopidine Use for Eyelid Drooping After Botox?

So far it has been a week since I got the Botox injection on my forehead. I have been using Iopidine for 3 days so far. How much longer can I use it until I see improvement? Also, every morning it seems like my drooping eye is getting smaller from the drops, but when I use them, it seems better.

Eyelid drooping after Botox will go away in 2 to 3 months.

+2

Hi. This is the most common complication with Botox. The Botox was put too close to the eyelid and weakened one of the two muscles that lifts the lid. The drops stimulate the OTHER muscle to work a little harder, and so it helps temporarily to open up the eye.

Basically, the Botox effect on the main eyelid "lifter" just has to wear off, and this can take 3 months. In the meantime, use the drops.

Months

+2

Thankfully we have lopidine when there is that unfortunate lid ptosis from Botox. However, as long as the lid is paralyzed you will have to use the drops. Since it works for you just keep using it. Sometimes the amount of Botox that gets into the lid retractor is less than the glabella so it might only last a few weeks rather than months.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Eyelid/Eyebrow droop

+2

Dear Caposa, eyelid droop after Botox is not common. Iodipine is a good form of therapy however you can also use Naphcon A which is over the counter and less expensive. Iodipine can cause some irritation of the eyes where as Naphcon A does not.

The eyelid droop can also be partially due to the forehead muscle being weakened too much causing the eyebrows to fall down and push on the eyelids.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Non-response to Iopidine is rare

+2

I would call your doctor. I am thinking you may have a lid droop combined with a brow droop. Iopidine does nothing for brow droop, but injections of Botox into key points may improve the brow droop. In any case, a follow-up visit is in order. I am sure your doctor wants to resolve your complication quickly.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

If you are not responding to the Iopidine, the droop could last 4-6 months

+2

Dear Caposa

Commonly, a droopy eyelid after cosmetic BOTOX does not last but a couple of weeks. Generally there is a good response to BOTOX in these situations.

I just competed a study of 7 patient with persistent ptosis (drooping) of the eyelid after cosmetic BOTOX. What we learned is that these people did not respond to Iopidine until the BOTOX was about 4 to 6 weeks from wearing off.

I recommend to physician that the response to Iopidine be used to predict how long the droopy eyelid will last. If the person responds to Iopidine and the eye opens, the BOTOX induced droopiness will wear off in 4 to 6 weeks. On the other hand, if the eye does not respond to the Iopidine, then it is likely that the droopy lid will take longer to resolve. Generally this time frame will be 3 to 6 months and possibly longer.

Droopy eyelid may last 4 weeks

+2

Hello

I am glad iopidine is helping you. When one sees deooping after Boitox, it could take anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks before you see significant improvement. I would continue to use the Iopidine, but do check with your doctor as to how long you can use it safely. Botox effects do reverse , so hang in there for now.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon