Male, 22: Should I consider botox injections? (Photo)

I am currently 22, take really good care of skin alternating gylcolic, retinol regimes atop sunscreen but I still have fine lines with expression which I understand is obviously normal. Im more so concerned about prevention and if I should start early to rid of the fine lines in my for head, above the corner of my eyebrows and around my eyes. Is it to soon for me to be concerned about aging, should I wait a few years?

Should I consider Botox at 22?

+2
Botox is a temporary treatment that lasts 3-4 months. Over the last several years I have seen more and more younger patients in their early-to-mid 20s getting Botox for preventative reasons. It sounds like you have a good skincare regimen, which will definitely help with anti-aging properties in the coming years. Only you can decide if you want to go forward with Botox. I would say you are not out of the norm if you do so.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Botox injections to prevent wrinkles

+1
You have an excellent skin care protocol.  If you are concerned with prevention then you can get Botox in the forehead and around the eyes.  Your lines seem to be very small right now so it is really a matter of how much they bother you.  You should also wear sun glasses to prevent further wrinles around the eyes.

Michele S. Green, MD

Prevention is Key

+1
Botox Cosmetic is injected into muscles to temporarily treat moderate to severe frown lines between the brows and in the area around the side of the eyes improving the look of moderate to severe crow’s feet lines in adults. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist so that they may evaluate your concerns and see if Botox would be appropriate for you. Often times these consultations are complimentary and are the best way to get your questions answered.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox to prevent wrinkles

+1
You can start with some Botox now as a preventative fo wrinkles. you may need fewer units to keep the wrinkles away. Good for you at 22 to be proactive about your anti aging program. Topicals and a little Botox is very preventative of fewer wrinkles. This way you can keep your wrinkles from getting fixed.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Using Botox as a preventative measure.

+1
I have many patients in their 20's that start getting Botox as a preventative measure.  In fact, I recommend that people start early.  If you wait until the lines are a "fixed feature" in your forehead it becomes more difficult to treat.  It's great that you are taking such good care of your skin.  I find that the better skin elasticity a patient has the better Botox and Fillers work and last for them.  Hopefully this helps.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

The nice thing about Botox is that if you try it you won't have to live with it forever!

+1
Botox lasts about 3 months, so if you try it and don't care for it you can just stop it and not do it again.  That is the best thing about it - it is easy to try and find out for yourself.  Many of my male patients love Botox as well, so you could be one of them.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Don't waste your money

+1
DOn't waste your money - these are natural lines and unless you are a very vein person, as a male patient you would be wasting your hard earned dollars at age 22 . 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Considerations for Botox injections

+1
The pictures posted by you indicate that you are concerned with lines directly above your eyebrows that appear when you arch them up. Unfortunately, Botox injections this close to the eyebrow would lower the position of your brows ( as we would be injecting the forehead muscle, which is the only muscle that holds your eyebrows up).  Therefore, I don't think that it would be a good idea for you to get Botox injections for preventative purposes as I don't think that you would be happy with the lowered position of your brows.  This generally gives people a somewhat tired and puffy look.

Hope this helps.

Tatiana Khrom, MD