Botox Injections in the Masseter Muscles for Caucasians? (photo)

Hello, I am a 26 year old female with nice features but a bit of a baby face, I do not have very much visible cheekbone structure. I want to know if botox for facial slimming is a good idea. A photo from real self (shown below) where a caucasian woman had this procedure resulted in her smile becoming uneven. How common is this mishap and should I seek a doctor that specializes in typically asian procedures? I have been warned against buccal fat pad surgery.

Botox Injections in the Masseter Muscles for Caucasians?

+1

Great Question,

Grinding teeth or a strong chewing muscle could enlarge the jaw to create a heavy strong jaw line. Injecting Botox to the masseter muscles can help slim the neck and create a more feminine oval shape to the face. Having this treatment done with an experienced injector is priority but the result would look great.

Good Luck 

Botox Injections to Soften the Jaw Muscles (Masseters) and Slim the Face.

+1

Botox injections can be performed to soften the jaw muscles, known as masseter muscles which, when prominent, can give the face a 'square' look. These injections can slim the sides of the face and give it a more aesthetically pleasing look. Care should be taken not to inject excessive amounts of Botox, and to always place the injections in the correct anatomical location. A side effect that can result from these injections is difficulty biting down or chewing foods, although this is an infrequent and transient side effect. Of note, the results obtained with this treatment are not permanent, lasting for up to 6 months. 

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox masseter injections not for facial "slimming" of natural fat

+1

The use of Botox in the masseters is for relaxing that muscle that becomes enlarged in some people. It is not a treatment for affecting facial fat, so normal sized masseters would not be treated.

As to affecting smile - the "action" of the Botox may be a little one-sided for a very short period of time and the balance can always be tweaked for an equal ratio of effect.

Botox in the masseters is a quite remarkable way to revert the shape of the face back to the more ideal triangular shape....but only if this is the causative factor.

The technique does take a considerable amount of skill to avoid complications. Anyone considering this treatment should seek out a physician who has ample experience and precise anatomical knowledge of the face.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Botox in the lower face.No effect on the smile.

+1

Dear babyface87, botox will not help with slimming of the face. When injected in the masseter muscles, it decreases the wide jaws that some people have. So, it is only the lower face , that can benefit from this effect. When done properly, the smile & expressions remain normal.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Masseters

+1

These injections should be relatively safe and if properly done should not effect your smile. You should also understand that the results are not permanent so giving it a try to see how you like it is not taking much of a risk.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox injections for masseter muscles

+1

The person's photo you have up is hard to comment on because we don't know how many units were used or where they were placed or who the injector was. I will say that in the jawline, placement is key, so yes, you need to visit an experienced injector, but not necessarily someone who only treats Asians. It's not that as much as good knowledge of facial anatomy and proper experience.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Masseter injections for slimming face when done properly won't change the smile

+1
When masseter injections are done too anterior, it's possible to weaken the risorius muscle and affect the smile.  However, an experienced injector knows the proper placement and this should not be an issue.  Be prepared to get 40-80 units to slim the face and another treatment at about 2 months.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for masseter reduction

+1

In experienced hands, Botox for masseter reduction is an extremely safe and effective procedure.  The area that it helps to improve is the fullness at the sides of your jaw (angles of your mandible).

With a surgeon who is experienced with this procedure, whether he/she specializes in Asian procedures, the smile should not be affected.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox Injections in the Masseter Muscles

+1

Hi! Masseter injections of Botox can do wonders for a coarsened jaw line if it is a result of masseter hypertrophy. When properly injected, the results are great. Best of luck!

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS