Are Botox Injections for Hyperhidrosis Painful?

Or, do you "pre-numb" the areas being treated with some type of topical agent so it is less uncomfortable for the patient?

Miradry instead!

Our office specializes in Miraday. Miradry just got FDA clearance for elimination of all hair colors under the arm. It also has clearance for the elimination of underarm sweating and odor. Much cheaper than botox and permanent.

Botox injections for hyperhidrosis, pain involved?

Botox has been FDA approved for Axillary hyperhidrosis since 2004.

In our office, we apply a topical numbing medicine. The procedure is quick, using a very small needle. Most of our patients tolerate it well, and often say it was, "no sweat".  (sorry...)

We have had good experience with Botox injections to the armpits. We have treated patients, staff, and family members. We typically use 50 units per armpit. I have had a couple of patients tell me it is the first time they wore a powder blue shirt in years. The red carpet models also like to do this before big events.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

BOTOX injections for hyperhidrosis are usually well tolerated.

We use a numbing cream for the underarm region, but for the palms and soles, ice+ vibration is usually adequate. In anxious patients, I use a regional block.

My office provides numbing cream before treatment to ensure as little pain as possible, mowt patients feel little too nothing when treating for hperhidrosis  

Botox for Sweating Pain Level

Generally speaking, botox injections are well tolerated.  We use a combination of a topical numbing + ice + a Zimmer cryo freeze to help make the injections as comfortable as possible.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain control with botox for sweating

Botox under the armpits for sweating is relatively well tolerated. You can place numbing cream beforehand and supplement this with a cold pack prior to applying it. You can also consider some form of distraction like vibration or tapping in the vicinity of the armpits as this will help confuse the brain with additional stimulation. Good luck

Numbing the palms for Botox hyperhidrosis

In our office in Los Angeles, we use topical numbing cream and apply a Zimmer cryo freeze to the skin prior to Botox injections for excessive sweating and hyperhidrosis. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Hyperhidrosis botox, painful

Application of a topical anesthetic and ice help to diminish the pain from the small needle pinches required to inject Botox or Dysport.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Botox for Hyperhidrosis is not painful

Botix in the underarms is very tolerable when injected by an experienced practitioner. It is more painful in the hands and feet.

Surprisingly, the superficial Botox injections for sweating are not that uncomfortable. I use a topical numbing cream and this significantly reduces the discomfort. The injections only take about one minute per armpit and most patients do not describe this as a bad experience. If it was painful, they wouldn't keep coming back! I hope this is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon