Is It Possible to Receive Botox Injections in Your Higher Chest Area?

I am 40 yrs old and although I am fairly wrinkle free on my face and neck. I have started to notice deep wrinkles on my chest area. These do fade through the day but I am still aware of them.

Botox on upper chest is a bad idea

+2

It is unnecessary and unhelpful to get Botox in this area of the chest as it won't help at all and probably waste hundreds, if not over a thousand dollars. I agree with the dermatologsit that it is probably a skin problem.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox for not commonly used, if at all, for chest wrinkles

+1

Hi Banwen,

As the other practitioners have pointed out, Botox is not commonly (if at all) used in the chest area. This is because Botox works by relaxing the muscles that cause dynamic wrinkles (those affrected by muscle contraction).

In the chest area, you do not have the same type of dynamic wrinkles that are present in the upper face where Botox works well. For this reason, we think you would be better off cosnidering chemical peels or laser treatments. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox on the chest

+1

Botox is really only good for facial lines of animation. Chest wrinkles are most likely sun damage and can be treated with many different types of lasers and IPL devices.  With these treatments you have to be careful with sun exposure afterwards.

For Chest Wrinkles Skip Botox, Treat with Fraxel

+1

Hi Banwen,

The vertical wrinkle lines in the the chest area respond very well to a series of Fraxel re:store or Fraxel re:pair Lite treatments. The use of good skin care products and sun block should also become a part of your daily regimen. Botox works on wrinkles caused by muscular movement while the chest lines are caused by lax skin. Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Botox is not indicated for the chest

+1

It sounds like you may benefit from a chemical peel to this area. Over time, the skin on our chest has been exposed to sun which can cause wrinkling and a crepe like appearance. Botox is better suited to address small muscles of animation, particulary in the face, to prevent them from continually contracting and causing the overlying skin to develop wrinkles. The muscles on your chest are not responsible for your wrinkles and therefore would not benefit from Botox.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Botox not a treatment for chest muscles

+1

Every now and then you will here or read a media-hyped story about "Botox breast lift", or something like that which describes injecting botox into the large muscles of the anterior chest to "lift" the skin. Absolute hogwash! Botox is intended for small discrete muscles of animation when used in cosmetic purposes, such as between the brows to cause smoothening of the wrinkles there that are present with furrowing or scowling your brows together. If used to much in a large muscle for cosmetic purposes, it could potientially cause a hugh drain on you wallet, plus side effects of paralysis of the chest wall muscles (we need those to breathe!) and difficulty with lifting heavy items or weights.

Jennifer L. Walden, MD

There is no clinical advantage to use Botox® in the chest area!

+1

Botox® would be totally ineffective in the chest wall area. You are absolutely correct to be concerned about the heath of your skin. For this reason, you should consult with a board certified physician who offers expertise in skin care. The skin thickness of the décolleté area of the chest wall is very thin and prone to sun damage. A well thought out medical skin regimen is mandatory.

I hope this helps!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Botox will not likely help wrinkles from sun damage

+1

Hi there,

Botox works to improve wrinkles by locally and temporarily paralyzing the muscles directly responsible for the wrinkles in question. When wrinkles are caused by other factors rather than muscular contraction--such as sun damage and/or aging, Botox will not be effective. There are now several effective techniques for the improvement of wrinkles in the area of your concern, including skin creams you use at home, and treatments performed in the doctor's office, either by an aesthetician, or a provider. These include various peels and laser treatments (my preferred treatment for this area is a Mixto SX laser treatment). I hope that helps.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

No botox action in chest area, you need a peel with skin care regimen

+1

A combination of good skin care and a chemical peel will help with the sun damage effect on the skin of the upper chest. Botox has no action on these static wrinkles.It is important to start with a weaker concentration of the peel until the desired effect is reached.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Botox probably will not address your concern

+1

Botox is for dynamic wrinkles (those that form as a direct result of underlying muscle activity) - for example, of the forehead and around the eyes. Don't waste your money on Botox to treat wrinkles on the chest.

You indicated something unusual in your question - that is your chest wrinkles fade through the day. I would seek evaluation by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. In general, wrinkles of the chest area are usually in association with sun-damaged skin. You might benefit from laser or chemical peel resurfacing of the chest area.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist