Botox Injections for Jawline Slimming?

I have a roundish-square face and am considering botox in a few years. Would it be necessary to change one's hairline also? For example, someone with a square face has a square hairline while someone with an oval face has a rounder hairline. Would it look more attractive to get a rounder hairline also? Also, I'm an asian girl who has a naturally square jaw, so would botox work as well for me too?

Botox for Jawline Slimming

+2

Bulky masseter muscles can be aggravated by clenching, making the jaw line appear bulky. Botox is one of the best options around for reducing the size of this muscle and creating a slimmer jawline. Rather than "plumping" like collagen and fat, Botox blocks the impulses that nerves send to muscles, essentially paralyzing the muscles and diminishing their ability to tense. Using a very fine needle, the surgeon injects botox in small doses where the facial muscles are most active. After receiving treatment, you're forbidden to lie down for several hours, because the medicine can absorb unevenly. It takes one to three days to see the effects, and the treated area will continue to improve for up to two weeks. That's when I schedule my patients to return, to see if a touch-up is needed.

Botox Injections for Jawline Slimming?

+2

This is a very interesting question! Botox is great for jawline slimming. A pleasant effect of Botox treatment of the masseter is that you occasionally develop more fullness in the temporalis muscle (the other jaw closing muscle in the temple). This can result in more full temples which is a youthful feature. Thus, you sometimes benefit in two ways with Botox jawline slimming - this slims the jawline and creates a more youthful upper face. I would not recommend direct treatment of any muscles along the hairline. The volume in that area is a sign of young age. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Square Jaw

+2

Botox can definitely help with a contouring your jaw.  This is done by gradually reducing the masseter muscle mass over time.  This treatment requires repeated Botox treatments approximately every 6 weeks.  With time, you will need less frequent treatments to maintain the tapered jaw appearance.  I would NOT recommend altering your hairline.  Wait and see how your facial appearance changes with the Botox for your jaw.  Once you get the result you like in terms of your jaw appearance, then you can look at altering other aspects of your face as required.  Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Botox injections for a more tapered jawline, (V-line)

+2

Botox for masseter reduction (jawline tapering) is extremely popular with Asian women (and men) because it is an easy, nonsurgical way to get significant tapering of the jawline with minimal to no discomfort.  Each treatment last from 3-6 months, depending on your anatomy and the dose administered.  Treatments and doses become necessary less frequently with continued treatment.   

There are several things that you can do to enhance your appearance without disrupting your hairline (altering your hairline can be fairly involved).  Common adjuncts to masseter reduction are forehead fillers or fat grafting to the forehead to create a more rounded, less flat appearance, and fillers, fat grafting or Sculptra to the cheeks to create greater anterior projection and a more "3-D" look.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox and Masseter Reduction

+1

Botox every 3 months to the masseter muscles can reduce the squared nature of a face and reduce muscle bulk.

Botox for jawline slimming

+1

Your masseter muscles need to be assessed to see if you are a good candidate for Botox injections to slim your jawline.  Consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Do not change your hairline, but you can definitely change your hair style.  See a good stylist to discuss your concerns.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox and jaw reduction

+1

Botox does treat the masseter muscles and can provide for a long-term pleasing facial contour-if your jaw is more square. Consult with a well-trained and experienced injector for all options available to you.

Sam Naficy, MD

Jaw line slimming and botox

+1

It is becoming more common to inject the masseter muscle to decrease  its thickness and make your face more narrow. It will take several injections over a year to start to see the effect.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Jawling slimming and Botox

+1

I am not the right person to ask about your hair, but I will say that the Botox may be required to be injected several times to get an effect.

Botox (Dysport) for Jaw Shaping

+1

Hi Vivian.  We have had excellent results for jaw slimming using Botox and Dysport.  These injections weaken the masseter muscle, reducing it's bulk and softening the jawline.  Before and after pictures at the link below.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD