Botox Injection Under my Armpits.. BUT Now Am Sweating?

I had botox injection under my armpits about two months ago and tried to avoid waxing their as much as possible .. 3 days ago I've noticed sweat patches and i can't go to my doctor because I'm staying in Egypt ... Help :(

MiraDry® non-surgical treatment permanently destroys underarm sweat glands

+1

Botox injections can temporarily stop underarm sweat with general results typically lasting up to 6 months. Botox results are different for every patient, but they are always temporary and must be retreated.  However, there is now a permanent non-surgical treatment called miraDry®. This technology uses electromagnetic energy to permanently destroy underarm sweat glands. As an added benefit, miraDry® can also treat underarm odor. For more information about miraDry® and other sweat reduction treatments, consult with a board certified dermatologist in your area when you return from Egypt.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox injections in armpits, sweating 2 months later?

+1

Botox usually lasts 4-6 months when injected into the armpits for excessive sweating.  There could be several reasons you find yourself sweating excessively after 2 months - the dosing, the area treated, the depth of injection.  These all could be factors.  As you are unable to see your doctor, you could try some prescription Drysol as someone else here has noted in response.  I suggest you return to your provider for evaluation when you return.

(This answer is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for medical advice.  It is posted for patients’ general education only.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider for further evaluation of your individual case.)

Mireille Chae, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Botox for sweating in armpits

+1

Botox is a terrific treatment for hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating in the armpits. I find it can last anywhere from 6-12 months, and partly depends on the size of the armpit and how much Botox was injected. You may be requiring a higher dose in the future. In the meantime, purchase an aluminum chloride preparation which you apply at night, such as Drysol or Hydrosal to reduce the sweating. There are also pills that can be helpful for some people by prescription from your dermatologist. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox or Dysport injections significantly reduce sweating in axillae for six months, sometimes longer.

+1

Botox or Dysport injections significantly reduce sweating in axillae for six months, sometimes longer. Proper technique is important for a successful treatment: depth of placement and distribution of injections is important for a successful treatment. Utilizing an adequate dose (units) of Dysport or Botox is also a key factor for successful treatment. A dose of 50 units of Botox injected in each axillae should be sufficient for good, longer lasting results. 

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for hyperhydrosis

+1

Hi, Botox usually lasts 6 months when done for hyperhidrosis. It is possible you metabolize the botox faster than normal. It may also be possible than an inadequate amount of botox was used or that small areas were skipped that are now sweating. Without knowing much about the type of provider you saw and their level of experience or training, its hard to say exactly what is the cause.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyperhidrosis after Botox treatments

+1

Placement of Botox is important not only in treating muscles in the face but also treating excessive sweating in the armpits.  If Botox is not evenly distributed in the injection process the areas missed go crazy and seem to pump out more sweat than ever.  We call this compensatory hyperhidrosis. when this happens, those hot spots need more Botox injections.  There is a simple test that can demonstrate this is happening and locate the areas that are misbehaving.  It is called the starch-iodine test.  You simple coat the sweat areas with Betadine solution, let it dry and immediately dust the area with cornstarch.  The hyperhidrotic areas will almost immediately turn the white coating dark in the patches which are still active.  Hope you are enjoying Egypt!  Ride a camel for me!

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and under arm treatment

+1

Depending on how you were injected and how many units were used, this all plays a role in how effective your treatment will be or won't be. Every office has a treatment regimen for hyperhydrosis-call your provider with your issue to discuss and be sure you're having treatment with a well-trained and informed provider!

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox for hyperhidrosis

+1

Botox is typically injected once or twice a year for treatment of hyperhidrosis. I typically inject a total of 100 units of Botox, 50 units into each armpit and expect it to last at least 4 to 6 months. Perhaps you can get a prescription for Drysol while you are in Egypt.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for underarm hyperhidrosis or miraDry

+1

Botox for underarm hyperhidrosis lasts 3-6 months and typically less in severe cases. I have done several thousand inections and it works wonderfully. Your other option is miraDry which is available in Egypt and the UAE.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox to underarms

+1

Botox to underarms normally lasts up to a year. Usually 100 units are used (50 per underarm). If you didn't have the appropriate dosage, or it wasn't injected into all areas, you could have sweating. But effective treatments last about a year. Since you can't get back to your doctor, you might want to try prescription antiperspirants. That's really the only thing to do until you can be seen.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD