Can a Cosmetologist Inject Botox?

Do you know if a licensed cosmetologist can legally inject Botox in Illinois? I am thinking about having it done, but I just want to make sure this is on the up and up.

Buyer Beware: Unfortunately, this becoming more common!

+3

Botox, the Allergan, FDA approved botulinum toxin type A product, can only be legally purchased by a physican.

If "Botox" is being advertised, likely it is an illegal foreign substance and there have been high profile stories on the extereme dangers of illegal, untested, unapproved substances being injected by "clinics".

Please always seek the services and advice of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for Botox and other information on safe and proven options for rejuvenation.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Can a cosmetologist deliver a baby?

+2

The answer to both questions is yes. Is it legal? Is it wise? Those are different questions.

If a cosmetologist were the only person around and a woman needed help with her delivery, then the cosmetologist could deliver the baby. Delivering babies and injecting Botox are medical procedures.

I am being interviewed by Spike TV this weekend; they are producing a show on "Botox deaths". There have been a handful of severe Botox side effects related to the unscrupulous injection of "imitation Botox" that was labeled for experimental use only. There have been no reported cases of the use of legitimate Botox for cosmetic use causing any deaths.

I agree with Dr. Julius Few, a very well respected plastic surgeon and member of the Injectables safety board whose answer to this question is excellent. This is a medical procedure that should be performed under medical supervision.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Varies by state, in California, physicians, physicians assistants, and nurses may

+2

It varies state to state who may do different procedures.

Botox, since it considered a drug, has to be ordered by a physician. Depending on the state, different licensed providers, under the supervision of a physician may inject with Botox.

You can probably look at the web site for the cosmetology licensing board in Illinios and get a specific answer.

John E. Gross, MD

Cosmetologist does not equal Dermatologist.

+1

Each state has different laws about who can legally inject Botox. But I think the secondary question is... who SHOULD inject Botox? Botox is a neurotoxin, and needles being put into your face to affect your nerves and muscles is no minor thing.

Dermatologists have anatomical and surgical training during and after medical school, in their dermatology residencies, and some in surgical fellowships following. Do not confuse cosmetologists (aestheticians) with dermatologists (MD's).

Be careful who you ask to treat you with Botox.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Who can inject Botox

+1

The laws are unclear and vary between state to state.  However, Botox is a very effective but potent medication.  It should only be injected by experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and dermatologists.  Would you go to the hair salon to have your gall bladder removed?  Not likely.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Cosmetologist and botox injections

+1

Botox injections should only be administered by a doctor. It can however also be performed under doctor supervision by a nurse or physician assistant. I do not know what a cosmetologist is?

Botox should only be injected by a doctor

+1

Botox is a very effective but very powerful medication. There are well-known complications and problems that may arise from the improper injection of Botox. To make sure they get the best results, visit a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for your Botox. These professionals have a great deal of experience with this medication and can make sure that you are treated appropriately and safely.

For more information on Botox or to schedule an iConsult, please visit us online at: 

Pat Pazmino, MD

Cosmetologist should not inject Botox.

+1

Hi.

I don't know about Illinois.  In the states that I know about, it is not legal. But that is not the question you should be asking.  Who is best at injecting Botox?  Go to an experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Trust your Botox injections on the most trained and experienced doctors

+1

BOTOX is being injected by all sorts of people, some with extensive training such as dermatologists and plastic surgeons, but unfortunately also by just about anyone who can get their hands on it. Just because someone has BOTOX and can push a needle, doesn't mean they understand the proper placement of BOTOX, anatomy, and safety precautions. When doing anything health related, especially if it is cosmetic and to your face, I would only trust the most trained and experienced. Although my plumber could probably do my taxes, I'd be much better off with an accountant doing them ;)

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Cosmetologist cannot inject Botox LEGALLY

+1

Because Botox is a prescription medication, it can only be injected by a physician or a medical practitioner working directly under the supervision of a physician. In California, a nurse, Physician's assistant and/or nurse practitioner's can all provide Botox injections working under the supervision of a physician. Cosmetologists are excluded in California.

We assume that they are in other states as well, and would caution you because if the person is using fake Botox and has no malpractice insurance (which they would not if they are not a physician's office) then your options might be limited in the event anything goes wrong.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD