Can Botox Injected on Thighs To Reduce Muscle Mass?

I followed the healthiest way to loss weight lately- exercise and balanced diet. I loss 5 kg in two months. However, my thighs grows a lot of muscles. If I want to keep my weight, I cannot stop exercise; so I am wondering if botox can be injectedon thighs and help to reduce muscle mass . Thanks a lot.

Botox is not intended to reduce muscle mass of the trunk or extremities.

+1

The amount of Botox units needed to reduce the contraction of muscle activity in the thighs would probably exceed safe levels. Even if it were safe, the treatment would need to continue for many sessions over years to potentially see a reduction of muscle mass from lack of contraction and this is theoretical. The answer to your question is, don't try it. It's not the standard of care, would be very costly for the number of units and possibly not safe.

Botox Injected Into Thighs

+1

Botox has many intended purposes, but muscle reduction is not one of them. Botox works by inhibiting the nerve signal that causes muscle contractions, temporarily paralyzing the affected muscles. If you are working out regularly (or simply using your legs for normal activities like sitting, standing, and walking) the last thing you want is to paralyze the muscles in your thighs.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Injected on Thighs To Reduce Muscle Mass

+1

This is not a recommended use for botox, and can lead to serious issues.  Consider other options than losing muscle mass. Higher reps is one option.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Using botulinum toxin to reduce muscle mass

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss, dietary change and exercise.

Unfortunately it's not feasible to use botulinum toxin in the way you have asked about. It would require large amounts of botulinum toxin (which would be incredibly expensive) and would make your thighs weak.

If you take a look at the legs of models and actresses on the red carpet you'll notice that their shapely legs are due to a combination of being slim and having good muscle tone. So in fact muscle is actually very valuable when it comes to looking good! The other great thing about muscle is that it has a high metabolic rate - so when your muscles grow you burn more calories and lose more weight (unless you eat more food).

Try not to worry about what the scales say when you weigh yourself, focus more on whether your clothes are feeling looser. If you concentrate on cardio work rather than lifting heavy weights with low repetitions that will help to minimise the amount of muscle you gain with your training. But most importantly, remember that muscle is your friend when it comes to losing fat and getting in shape!

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Botox and muscle mass

+1

Why would you want to lose muscle mass?  That is the last thing in your body you would want to reduce.  Muscle mass keeps your metabolism elevated and helps you burn fat at rest.  Reducing muscle mass will drop your metabolism and make it more difficult to lose fat.  NEVER lose muscle mass!  It's the most valuable asset you have.  When weight training, use higher reps if you don't want to build more muscle.  To answer your question directly, Botox is not indicated to reduce muscle mass.

Peterson Pierre, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Botox Not Recommended for Thigh Muscle Mass Reduction

+1

Botox is not recommended to reduce the muscle mass of your thighs, since it would only serve to weaken this large muscle that you need to arise from a sitting position among other functions.

Robert Strimling, MD