Botox Injected in the Nasal Area

Several doctors have answerd my question and reasurred me that the botox injected into the nasial labiafold area which paraylised a portion of my mouth area would be back to normal within 3-4 months. Though it has gone back to normal quite a bit, it seems like the last little bit is not moving at all. It will be four mos. on 10-6. I ask again, do any of you really KNOW for sure if botox didn't hit a nerve and paralyzed this area? WILL this be completely heald w/in a week or two or could it last?

Botox Injected in the Nasal Area

+2

That is an unusual area to have botox injected.  However, the mechanism of botox dictates that it will not be permanent.  You have already seen improvement, and I would suspect that it will completely resolve over the next few months.  The facial nerve branches that control the muscles in that location are so tiny and redundant that it would seem impossible to actually injure a nerve with the injection.

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox effect on unwanted muscle is not permanent

+2

At five months virtually the entire Botox effect will be gone. Clincially the desired aesthetic result tends to fade at four months with a trace of immobilization left, so there is no reason for you to think you won't get it all back. It would be very rare for a needle as tiny as that used for Botox to interfere with a nerve's function.

Ronald Shelton, MD

No nerve damage, but poor location for Botox

+2

The nasolabial fold is a poor location for Botox and unfortunately, if injected there (filler is much better), it lasts LONGER than the 4 months of duration that we see in the frown lines. The smile will eventually get back to normal, but 3-6 months is not uncommon.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botulinum toxin (Dysport or Botox) injections could potentially damage nerve but it is unlikely

+1

No one can tell you "for sure" if a anerve was damaged. If you are absolutely determined to find this out you will have to undergo testing called a SSEP. This can be perfromed by a neurologist and is sometimes used during facial nerve surgery. However the probability is that it wil return to normal.

Botox and smile

+1

Botox injected into the nasolabial fold can cause smile asymmetry because it will impact muscles of animation. Botox usually wears off in 4 months but may last longer in some.