Botox if Ingested - How Much to Be Dangerous?

I just received 25 units injected and during treatment a tiny amount squirted from the needle, landed on my lip and may have gotten into my mouth. There is a lot of conflicting information on the web about Botox vs. botulism and what is safe/dangerous. It was just a very tiny, less than a drop, bit but I'm wondering if this is need for concern since it could potentially have been ingested versus injected. Is Botox in its form poisonous and, if so, how much is actually dangerous?

Effect of Swallowing Botox

+1

The effect of swallowing botulinum toxin in the miniscule amounts injected for facial muscle adjustments will not have an effect even if it could be absorbed through the digestive or aerodigestive tract.

Botox and ingestion

+1

The tiny amount ingested won't cause you any harm now or later. Discuss this with the provider for further education and concerns you may have.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox on lips or tongue

+1

Not to worry, it will not have any adverse effects, now or later. You are not the first person who has had botox squirted on the lip or in the eye. It has happened to many practitioners and patients without undue side effects.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox ingestion and risk of botulism

+1

You have nothing to worry about if a little bit of Botox got into your mouth inadvertently...while I don't recommend ingesting Botox, you'd probably have to drink several vials to truly develop any serious problems.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

That amount inmgested would most likely have zero affect.  If you are concerned, you could contact Allergan and ask the clinical department.

Cosmetic doses of Botox will not cause botulism

+1

Millions of people have had Botox Cosmetic and one of the reasons for its remarkable safety record is that the dose is too small to cause Botulism. The warnings about serious side-efects are related to the often very high doses used to treat some medical conditions.

Richard Baxter, MD

Botox

+1

You have nothing to worry about. A small amount of Botox ingested inadvertently will not do any harm.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox on your lip

+1

You have nothing to worry about.  The Botox used for injections is so dilute it would not harm your lips or mouth.  Your saliva would dilute it even more.  Botox is not poisonous, it just relaxes muscles, so again, a tiny drop would have no effect in your mouth.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

OK if botox got in your mouth

+1

Many people confuse Botulinum Toxin (Botox) with Botulism.  Botulism is caused by an infection with bacteria that produce Botulinum Toxin.  These bacteria can be in spoiled food or improperly canned/jarred food.  Getting this infection is like ingesting a Botox producing factory, and hence there can be gigantic amounts of the toxing getting into the blood stream.  None of these bacteria is present in Botox, just he purified molecule of the toxin.  You have nothing to fear from ingesting a small amount of Botox.

Madeline Krauss, MD
Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Ingesting small amounts of botox accidentally is safe

+1

Dear TMH

You have nothing to worry about.  You could probably go swimming in a pool filled with Botox and not get harmed.  (although it would be very expensive!)   Botox only works when its injected directly into or near a muscle in sufficient doses.  a few drops out of the needle will have absolutely no effect if it lands on your lips or even if you swallow it.  Enjoy your Holidays without worry :-)

Daniel Yamini, MD