Botox in Chin & Forehead Causing Muscle Strain in Neck?

I got Botox over a month ago in my chin and forehead and since then, every time I smile or laugh the muscle in my neck on one side feel like it's straining so hard it's painful! I brought this up to my doctor and said that it shouldn't happen but it did, she was no help! I can't even smile without my need feeling strained and it's starting to give me anxiety that something is seriously wrong. Please help!

Neck Strain after Chin Botox

+2

If the Botox was injected into the platysma instead of the mentalis on one side, this could produce asymmetry.

Botox in chin and forehead causing neck strain

+2

The Botox treatment you received a month ago to your chin and forehead would not cause the neck strain that you describe.  There is really no way that the Botox could get to your neck from your chin or forehead.  For that matter, if Botox was injected into your neck, it should actually improve neck strain.  I would look into other causes for your neck issue.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Defintely not the botox...

+1

especially if it was injected into the forehead and chin...and if it were injected directly into the neck muscles, it would cause the muscles to be at rest...not strained...if you have symptoms in your neck, it's a good idea to see your family doctor...and if there's an anxiety or panic component, maybe a good idea to ask if there are other issues in play

Ken Landow, MD

Neck strain after Botox on the chin is not related

+1

It is not likely that injection of Botox in your chin and temple would cause neck strain or spasms. See your primary care physician for an evaluation.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox and strained neck

+1

Dear Kascade, I do not think that your Botox treatment has anything to do with this problem. When we have a problem we try to think of what could have caused it and often look at things that happen at the same time. There is nothing wrong with this as a true relationship sometimes exists. However, these do not sound related as far as I can see. You might want to see your primary care doctor for this.  Hope you feel better soon.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Neck strain after Botox in chin and forehead

+1

The strain you have in your neck cannot be from the Botox injections. It cannot travel like that, and even if it were actually injected into the neck it would make the strain less, not more.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox and neck strain

+1

From what you've described, it is highly unlikely the two are connected, (Botox treatment to your forehead and chin), causing problems to your neck. However, you might need to see your primary care physician if the problem persists.  

Sam Naficy, MD