Botox in Cheek Muscles?

Hello, I have TMJ and my facial muscles, especially in the cheek area, are constantly contracting, making it increase in muscle size. This is very noticable and irritating. I wonder if Botox would be a good way to make my cheeks reduce in muscle mass. I would very much appreciate an answer. Best Regards

Botox and Dysport for jaw slimming

Thank you for your question. Botox or Dysport can be a very effective way to contour the jaw line by reducing the masseter shadow through the outer jaw skin. In addition, it can reduce symptoms of jaw clenching or grinding of teeth at night time. This is an advanced technique that requires a strong understanding of the underlying anatomy. Some side effects can results in some very unintented effects. This can include affecting the smile due to diffusion of the Botox into neighboring smile muscles. Over treatment can also overweaken your jaw muscles making it harder to chew food and causes your jaw muscles to relax too much when you sleep.

The injection technique does vary by physical exam and the goals of the treatment. I ask my patients to place their hands along the sides of their face over their masseter muscles and clench on/off so they can feel the masseter muscles bouncing against their hands. I also ask them to repeat this at home in a couple weeks time to compare so they can see the effects of the masseter reduction.

Facial contouring goals may change the injection sites themselves to affect different portions of the masseter as well as the dose. The strength of the masseters can be felt by palpation and also helps me to determine dosing. In general, I start with 15- 25 units of Botox (OR 50-75 units of Dysport) per side for most patients. If they have very strong masseters, then I may increase the dose, but more commonly ask them to return in three weeks for a touch up. Once you get the desired result, I let patients know that future treatments may require less to maintain the look or the jaw clenching symptoms, especially if they get treated as soon as they notice the symptoms return. This can be as soon as three to four months, but in some cases, patients report that it lasts six months or more. I find it depends on the dose we use and how many times we have done the procedure as the duration may lengthen for patients that repeat it regularly.

Botox in Cheek Muscles?

Thank you for your question. Botunimum Toxin (Botox, Dysport, Azzalure) are used successfully in reducing the activity and strength of the masseter muscle and therefore helping both with patients who consider this treatment for medical reasons and for those who consider it  for cosmetic reasons.

I have been performing the treatment with a very high degree of satisfaction and would advice you to go and see a qualified plastic surgeon for his assistance with your problem.

All the best.

Andrea Marando

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Botox for masseter reduction reducing the width of the lower face

For TMJ and bruxism (teeth grinding), Botox can be used with great efficacy to reduce the activity of the masseter muscle (one of the muscles used to chew).  When treated with a neuromodulator such as Botox or Dysport, the bulk of the muscle will be reduced - leaving a more narrow appearing lower face.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox and masseter reduction

Yes, Botox does help with masseter reduction and visiting with a well-trained, experienced, and reputable provider will educate you on all available options.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox in the masseter can be used

Injecting botox into the massesster muscle can help relax this muscle and achieve a nice softening of the jawline. Using larger doses over a short period reduces the muscle bulk more quickly, while smaller doses more gradually reduces the muscle more gradually. I like to inject 20-40 botox units monthly, followed by biannual maintenance injections thereafter. I try to achieve  25% reduction in muscle mass prior to beginning maintenance.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Saint Louis Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox can be used to reduce mass of masseter muscle and reduce facial width

Botox can be used (in large amounts) to weaken and atrophy the masseter muscle, which creates excessive facial width in some patients. This treatment can weaken the 'chewing' muscles, but patients are still able to chew and speak normally. The treatment is very effective. I've used between 40-50 units per side at a time with good results.

TMJ & wide lower cheeks

Hello Jonothan,

For several years, Botox has been in use for treatment of TMJ problems, & also cosmetically to reduce muscle size[ & hence width] of lower cheeks/jaw areas.

Procedure takes less than 15 minutes, & is done in the dermatologist/physician's office.

The results are very rewarding , & the improvement lasts for about 4-6 months. Injections need to be repeated to maintain the improvement. 

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for TMJ and angle of jaw

Yes, you can use botox for TMJ. It will help to relax the muscle. It is injected into the masseter muscle in certain spots. It can also be done for cosmetic reasons. If a patient wants to have a softer, less angular jawline, botox can help to lengthen the face and soften a square jaw. I usually do this as a series of treatments spaced about 3-6 months apart. After 3-4 treatments, you can see pretty dramatic results.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for TMJ (yes), Botox for cheek muscles (NO)

I think treatment of masseter muscles is good for jaw reduction but do not recommend cheek muscle injection as it would interfere (potentially) with mid facial movement, symmetry and potentially cause drooling if not done correctly.

Botox for TMJ

Yes, Botox can definitely help with TMJ problems.  After using it for some time, there can be reduction in size of the masseter muscle as the muscle becomes partially weakened from the Botox.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon