Botox in Cheek Muscles?

Hello, I have TMJ and my facial muscles, especially in the cheek area, are constantly contracting, making it increase in muscle size. This is very noticable and irritating. I wonder if Botox would be a good way to make my cheeks reduce in muscle mass. I would very much appreciate an answer. Best Regards

Botox in Cheek Muscles?

+1

Thank you for your question. Botunimum Toxin (Botox, Dysport, Azzalure) are used successfully in reducing the activity and strength of the masseter muscle and therefore helping both with patients who consider this treatment for medical reasons and for those who consider it  for cosmetic reasons.

I have been performing the treatment with a very high degree of satisfaction and would advice you to go and see a qualified plastic surgeon for his assistance with your problem.

All the best.

Andrea Marando

Web reference: http://www.andreamarando.com/botoxjawreduction.html

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Botox for masseter reduction reducing the width of the lower face

+1

For TMJ and bruxism (teeth grinding), Botox can be used with great efficacy to reduce the activity of the masseter muscle (one of the muscles used to chew).  When treated with a neuromodulator such as Botox or Dysport, the bulk of the muscle will be reduced - leaving a more narrow appearing lower face.  

Web reference: http://www.donyoomd.com/blog/2012/11/15/sqaure-jaw-tapered-feminine-surgery/

Botox and masseter reduction

+1

Yes, Botox does help with masseter reduction and visiting with a well-trained, experienced, and reputable provider will educate you on all available options.

Botox in the masseter can be used

+1

Injecting botox into the massesster muscle can help relax this muscle and achieve a nice softening of the jawline. Using larger doses over a short period reduces the muscle bulk more quickly, while smaller doses more gradually reduces the muscle more gradually. I like to inject 20-40 botox units monthly, followed by biannual maintenance injections thereafter. I try to achieve  25% reduction in muscle mass prior to beginning maintenance.

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox can be used to reduce mass of masseter muscle and reduce facial width

+1

Botox can be used (in large amounts) to weaken and atrophy the masseter muscle, which creates excessive facial width in some patients. This treatment can weaken the 'chewing' muscles, but patients are still able to chew and speak normally. The treatment is very effective. I've used between 40-50 units per side at a time with good results.

Web reference: http://www.scottsattlermd.com/InjectableFillersSeattle_Botox_7800532.aspx

TMJ & wide lower cheeks

+1

Hello Jonothan,

For several years, Botox has been in use for treatment of TMJ problems, & also cosmetically to reduce muscle size[ & hence width] of lower cheeks/jaw areas.

Procedure takes less than 15 minutes, & is done in the dermatologist/physician's office.

The results are very rewarding , & the improvement lasts for about 4-6 months. Injections need to be repeated to maintain the improvement. 

Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for TMJ and angle of jaw

+1

Yes, you can use botox for TMJ. It will help to relax the muscle. It is injected into the masseter muscle in certain spots. It can also be done for cosmetic reasons. If a patient wants to have a softer, less angular jawline, botox can help to lengthen the face and soften a square jaw. I usually do this as a series of treatments spaced about 3-6 months apart. After 3-4 treatments, you can see pretty dramatic results.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for TMJ (yes), Botox for cheek muscles (NO)

+1

I think treatment of masseter muscles is good for jaw reduction but do not recommend cheek muscle injection as it would interfere (potentially) with mid facial movement, symmetry and potentially cause drooling if not done correctly.

Web reference: http://www.AdvanceYourBeauty.com

Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox for TMJ

+1

Yes, Botox can definitely help with TMJ problems.  After using it for some time, there can be reduction in size of the masseter muscle as the muscle becomes partially weakened from the Botox.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for TMJ

+1

Yes, Botox is effective for TMJ and to reshape an angled jawline. It is done in a few areas along the muscles that is responsible for clenching jaw. I do not think that it should hamper your chewing of food. 

Birmingham Dermatologist