Can You Use Botox in Same Area That You Had a Juvederm Injection? (photo)

I had a Juvederm injection over my right eyebrow two weeks ago. It left a lump and I want to have it removed with Hyaluronidase. Can I use Botox in that area to smooth out the line? And how long should I wait?

Botox after Juvederm has been melted by hyaluronidase

+2

Thank you for including a photo, since this makes it easier to answer your question with a reasonable degree of understanding of your problem.

I'm a little confused as to the reason why juvederm was injected into this area in the first place.  Injectible fillers such as juvederm and restylane can work very nicely underneath the brow, but one would not typicaly put this quantity of the material above the brow.

At any rate,hyaluronidase will usually do a nice job of melting the filler and getting things back to normal.

I would generally recommend waiting at least two weeks after hyaluronidase injection befor injecting Botox into an area.  I'd wait even longer if the area still seems to be evolving.

Botox works best to soften the vertical expression lines between the brows and to reduce lines in the crows feet area.  It can sometimes help to mildly elevate a brow that is sitting too low.  I'm not sure I would recommend using it in the area where you have the current lump.  Were the original creases horizontal or vertical?  If the crease was horizontal, it probably won't help much.

I hope this sheds some light on your problem.

Botox in Same Area That You Had a Juvederm Injection

+2

Botox may be used after the juvederm bump has been addressed with hyaluronidase.  You should wait at least 2 - 3 weeks after the hyaluronidase treatment before doing anything else in the area.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Wait for 2 weeks after hyaluronidase to do anything else in that area.

+2

I would suggest you wait for at least 2 weeks after hyaluronidase to do something else in that area. Even though you will see results of hyaluronidase within a couple of days, you may want the area to settle down a bit, so you can be clear what you want corrected with the BOTOX. It may well be different from what you have in mind, right now!

Renita Lourdhurajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist

Botox Briefs

+2

Botox may be used after the Juvederm "bump" has been addresses and no more manipulation is required in that region.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump after Juvederm

+1

the lump can be from excess amount of Juvederm, but sometimes Juvederm is known to attract more water molecules especially around the eye. If the lump is not a hematoma (collection of blood from a bruise) then the excess Juvederm can be injected with hyaluronidase. There is a rare risk of an allergic reaction to hyaluronidasae. The horizontal line above the eyebrow does bother a lot of people and Botox can't be used well in this location because if it drifts too close to the eyebrow, it may weaken the levator which holds up the upper eyelid. An upper eyelid droop is not pleasing aesthetically, so filler of this line is often done with Restylane or Juvederm but with very small amounts.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. If you are experiencing a medical emergency proceed to your nearest emergency room.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Wait and see before Botox.

+1

Please be patient. Injecting Botox too soon to try to smooth out the line may lead to an unrewarding cycle. Wait to see how the area "heals", which can be 4-6 weeks before injecting Botox or anything else for that matter. The face had remarkable healing capability. Your cosmetic surgeon can monitor you during the observation period.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Botox after Juvederm

+1

Wait a few weeks after the juvederm lump has settled then its safe to have the area treated with Botox.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Juvederm Injections....

+1

Yes, Botox can be administered in the same place Juvederm was injected.  There are no contraindication to this.  

For optimal results, I would wait until your Juvederm has been broken down with Vitrase before getting Botox injected.

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens        

Grant Stevens, MD

Botox and juvederm in the same area

+1

Botox and juvederm can both be used in the same area, though I typically would inject them at different times or filler first, followed by Botox. If there is a lump or bump, then inject hyaluronidase, and after 2 weeks you can inject Botox if it is deemed beneficial by your doctor.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Can You Use Botox in Same Area That You Had a Juvederm Injection?

+1

Only after the problem is resolved than do Botox. Always best to correct an issue before treating in the same area.