How Much Botox is Safe to Use in One Appointment?

I have finally saved up enough money for treatment of my hyperhidosis. I will be getting treatment for my underarms. I am also considering getting my forehead done at the same time. My question is getting this large amount, is it safe? Thank you for your time.

Botox safety

+4

You should have no safety concerns about this. Usually, 50 units is placed into each axilla (arm-pit) and 6-15 units in the forehead. This is well below the 2500-3000 units, which is said to be a toxic dose.

I am curious, however, that you are saving up money for the procedure. Most insurance companies do cover BOTOX. They would like another treatment modality be attempted first for the control of hyperhidrosis.

Usually, this means a trial with medical grade aluminum chloride or an anti-cholinergic medication. Then they give approval and pay for the Botox and its administration. You would have to pay for the forehead treatment unless you have hyperhidrosis in this area.

Good luck and I hope I save you some money.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox dose = upper limit, toxic dose

+2

Typical Botox injected is 2 or 3 bottles if large areas are treated for hyperhidrosis. To give you an idea, it means 200 - 300 units. The toxic dose would be 30 bottles. No one in their right mind would inject that amount and it is unnecessary, impractical, and very costly.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox quantity for injection often not toxic

+2

The quantity of Botox for hyperhidrosis is highly variable and dependent on the type and severity of the hyperhidrosis, the area of the treatment region, and the past experience with Botox.

The quantity necessary for Botox injection are not enough to cause complications or toxicity to a patient. However, the injection amount should be titrated to the area in order to minimize the cost and the overall amount of Botox used.

In some patients, requiring increased amounts of Botox compared to norms, Myobloc may be an alternative.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

One Botox session for underarms and forehead is safe

+2

For the average sized person, the toxic dose of Botox is 2500-3000 units. The typical dose of Botox for the underarms is 50 units per side, and that of the forehead is about 15 units. So to answer your question, yes, I believe it is safe.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Botox is safe

+1

The typical dosage for treating underarm hyperhidrosis is 100 units per side.  The average number of units to treat the forehead is 10.  You can very safely use this amount of Botox in one appointment. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox to each armpit

+1

I usually place about 50 units in each armpit. This is well under the toxic dose at any one time.  I would't worry too much.

Are high doses of Botox safe?

+1

As the other panel members stated, your concerns (although appropriate) should be relieved in knowing that it would take much more Botox than what you are contemplating to cause concern.  Botox is routinely administered in much higher doses for medicinal purposes.

Being that you are making a large financial investment in treating hyperhidrosis (sweaty underarms) with Botox, you may want to have the forehead treated first if you need reassurance about your reaction to Botox.  Other than needing peace of mind and reassurance, your combined treatment is not unusual and is considered safe.

See the link below for further information on the use of Botox for hyperhidrosis.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

200 units is safe

+1

Typical cosmetic uses of Botox Cosmetic uses 50 to 100 units. However, it is safe to use more Botox per session. You will be fine if you receive 200 units of Botox. We often use even more Botox for non-cosmetic (medical) conditions without any problems. Good luck with your injections.

David Shafer, MD

Botox safe and effective for hyperhidrosis and wrinkles

+1

Botox Cosmetic is safe and effective for hyperhidrosis and the wrinkles you describe. The treatment is local, meaning that the small amount of volume injected should not go throughout the body. Problems arise if too much is used and gets into the blood stream. It can cause paralysis, particularly of the breathing muscles.

A skilled doctor can evaluate you thoroughly and help you. It sounds like you should be able to get all areas treated however.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Safe to Botox underarms and forehead at the same time

+1

You should have no problem at all. The amount of Botox needed for hyperhidrosis of the axillas is roughly 100 units (1 full vial). The amount of Botox for the forehead is generally 20-25 units, or less. So at most, you can expect to receive around 115-125 units of botox in all the areas. The lethal and dangerous dose of Botox is around 2500-3000 units (or 25-30 full vials). You will not be approaching that at all!

Enjoy the botox and you should do fine!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist