Would Botox Alone Help Jowls? (photo)

I am 47 and have never been overweight. But I have inherited my father's jowls and double chin. Unfortunately, I will never be able to afford a facelift. Would botox under my jawline and/or neck help me at all? I already tried two Ultherapy treatments, one at full strength, and it had no effect. I'm feeling really bad about my appearance. Doctors, I appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Would Botox Alone Help Jowls?

+1

From the photos provided, the face shows the typical signs of aging both in the face and neck, including significant "jowls".  There is loose skin, of the neck as well as presence of nasolabial folds and excess facial/neck fatty tissue.  Botox injects are designed to weaken muscles resulting in their inability to contract = make less wrinkles.  Botox would have no positive effect on the aging face issues previously described. 

The least invasive, yet effective, method of rejuvenating the face would be a minimal incision facelift that has the following benefits over more invasive, traditional facelifts:

1. Much smaller incisions
  2. Less tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling
  3. Recovery time measured in days, not weeks and months

Jowling not improved with Ultherapy

+1

Thanks for your photos.  I agree with the other comments that your issues are structural in nature and will best benefit from surgery.  The jowl region is often challenging to many facelift surgeons and may need additional support beyond the SMAS approach.  Best to approach what bothers you with the most effective methodology without squandering your money on ineffective modalities that will not address your issues.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Jowls and Botox

+1

As always, the definitive answer rests with an in-person consultation.  Neuromodulators such as Botox relax muscles, and as such are effective for treatment of "dynamic" lines - lines caused by underlying muscle contraction.  These lines are in the upper third of the face (i.e. crow's feet, forehead lines) and not in the jowl area.  I hope this is helpful.  Regards, Andy Shah MD. 

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for jowls

+1

Botox works by temporarily weakening a muscle movement.  The jowls and neck laxity that bother you cannot be improved with botox.  Ultherapy can improve mild neck and lower face laxity, but the results are often subtle.  A lower facelift is what would give you the best and most long lasting result.  Botox works best for treating lines from facial expression in the upper face and I think you would be wasting your money if you tried using Botox to correct your jowls and neck laxity.  

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowls, Botox and Ultherapy versus a face-lift

+1

You do have a significant amount of skin laxity and you have three choices to treat this.  

1.  You can do nothing.

2.  You can get a face-lift/ neck-lift

3.  You can tighten your skin.  

You tried option three using Ulthera -which is a great and effective skin tightening tool for patients with early to moderate laxity.  I hope that your provider did educate you on the option of a face-lift prior to your receiving your Ultherapy so that your expectations were realistic because a face-lift/ neck-lift is the best treatment for you.

That being said, not everyone wants a face-lift.  In that case, non-invasive options play a role as long as the patient understands the limitations of these treatments.  A little Botox injected in the DAO's, and lat sup neck can minimize the jowl- and some people are very pleased with a little improvement.  Patients with less laxity obviously will have better results. The cost to try a little Botox is minimal in comparison to a face-lift if that is something you want to try, but yes you will a much better result with a face-lift.

Also I can't see your cheekbones, but if you have lost a lot of volume along the cheekbones and your skin has no support- just balancing your face will give you a more "uplifted" reflection. 

Good Luck. 

Christina Steil, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Botox to jowls

+1

I think Botox in either of the areas you are talking about is not a good idea and not going to give you a result you are looking for, so it's going to leave you thinking that didn't work either, and potentially waste money. I would seek the advice of a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area about a lower facelift. While you state you may never be able to afford it, you should at least learn what the potential cost would be so that you don't waste more money on non-invasive treatments that simply are not going to accomplish what you desire. CareCredit is good financing option for no or low interest rates for cosmetic procedures. I have many patients who use this financing option.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Jowling is addressed with facelift, not Botox

+1

You have already spent $$ on Ultherapy with minimal result and are not contemplating moer spending on Botox - a good facelift will address your jowling and neck laxity. CareCredit and other financing organization may be able to help you finance this procedure.

Botox does not help jowls.

+1

Botox does not help jowls. My best advice is to save money and have a facelift in the future. Other methods of so-called shrinking of the tissue will not give you the results you desire.

To help the jowls to the degree you have, I would suggest surgery

+1

There is only so much which can be done noninvasively.  Ulthera is the best noninvasive technique and should improve the problem somewhat.  If that didn't get you to where you want to be, seek a consult with a Plastic Surgeon.  Botox will not help at all.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Would Botox Alone Help Jowls?

+1

The lower face and neck really needs to be addressed with a lower face and neck lift.  This may not be as expensive as you think.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts, facelift revisions, and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA