How Will Botox in the Glabella Region Affect my Ability to Raise my Eyebrows?

I am considering Botox to my glabella region to relax the muscles in that area that are starting to cause a permanent vertical ridge (no deep wrinkles in the skin just yet, but a definite ridge). I am concerned because I do NOT want to lose the ability to raise my eyebrows-- will a small amount of Botox in that area diminish my ability to do so, either on the innner or outer part of the brow? I'm also wondering if Botox in that area can cause disruption to lymphatic drainage around the eyes.

Correct placement of botox should not prevent raising the eyebrows

+1

Precise placement of Botox in the glabella should help give you a lift if anything, not lower your eyebrows and it shouldn't prevent you from raisisng the eyebrows. Injection of the frontalis muscle above the eyebrow can prevent upward movement of the eyebrow and this may happen if the doctor is treating more than that which is necessary for the average patient's glabella. There is a chance though, that you may have a very strong corrugator muscle that extends diagonally upward from the root of the nose, over the inner eyebrow and adding insertion sites to those muscles might affect the nearby frontalis muscle. You may wish to settle for some but not a fully frozen set of glabellar muscles so that there is less contraction of the area and in time less chance of developing deep lines, but not risking the eyebrow lowering and being able to maintain your ability to raise your eyebrows.

Botox to the glabella should not affect brow lifting, IF placed PROPERLY.

+1

The muscles between the brows that cause vertical lines when frowning pull inward and downward, so if Botox (or Dysport) is properly placed, there should be no loss of the ability to lift the brows, which comes from a different muscle.

However, I have seen many cases of Botox misplaced or overdosed in that area, and when the Botox leaks out into the mid forehead, it can affect that muscle in an unwanted fashion, causing the brows to feel heavy. Make sure to see only a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for this treatment. It seems easy, but it can also easily be done wrong.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Raising Eyebrows and Botox in Glabella Area

+1

Botox into the “11” region targets the corrugator and procerus muscles and these muscles work by relaxing the brow.  If too much Botox is injected into the frontalis muscle this can lead to lowering of the eyebrows.  Moreover, I’ve never heard of any reported cases of Botox impacting lymphatic drainage.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for glabella and effect on eyebrows

+1

The target muscle causing your frown line is a pair of muscles called the corrugators- they bring the brows down and inward.  By injecting them at the glabella with Botox, your eyebrows should actually raise upward and outward somewhat.  You will still have the ability to raise your brows since the entire forehead helps  to raise them (called the frontalis muscle), and will not be injected.  Worst case scenario- you don't like the effect and it will wear off.

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will Botox in the Glabella Region Affect My Eyebrows...

+1

Botox is a great procedure that has been around for many years.  If the procedure between the eyebrows is done correctly, you should not incur any paralysis with the eyebrows themselves.  Typically, weakness of the eyebrows can occur when Botox is injected into the forehead causing you to not be able to use the muscles that move your eyebrows.  When receiving Botox in the Glabella it is possible for the eyebrows to be slightly raised, rejuvenating your overall appearance.  Make sure you visit an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist to have a properly performed procedure.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox in the Glabella Region should not affect your eyebrows

+1

Based on your question there should not be a problem with the movement of your eyebrows. As you may know, Botox relaxes the muscle it is injected into only, so it would affect the glabella and not the eyebrows.

When you are ready to undergo any esthetic procedure, it is best to have a consultation with a board certified cosmetic doctor or dermatologist who you trust. They will give you the honest answers for your unique situation (your starting point, your objectives and your budget).

At the Victoria Park Medispa, we take off the consultation fee from any appointment booked, therefore reducing a client’s risk of having a treatment performed without taking the time to think about what they really want. Any esthetic tool needs to be in the right hands, to achieve the best possible results.

Steven Bernstein, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Will Botox affect eyebrow movement?

+1

The frown lines are a result of the glabellar muscles (between eyebrows) and are known to depress.  This means that the action pulls downward and inward.  Proper dosing will, not only resolve or improve the frown lines, but will offer a nice, natural inner brow lift. 

When a patient's eyebrows are negatively affected, it is usually a result of improper or too much dosing of the forehead inasmuch as the forehead muscle is an elevator (lifting) muscle.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

A careful treatment in the Glabella will not affect your ability to raise your eyebrows.

+1

A careful treatment in the Glabella will not affect your ability to raise your eyebrows.  The muscles in the Glabella are the Corrigators and the Procerus.  The frontalis muscles are used to raise the eyebrows.  Careful placement of Botox in the Glabella Will only affect those muscle and relax the frown lines.  Injections of the mid to upper forehead will relax the frontalis muscles and inhibit your ability to raise your forehead.  This is a completely separate application of Botox than treating the Glabella.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Glabellar Botox Effects

+1

Glabellar botox therapy is one of the most natural applications of the product.

Frown line relaxation often causes the brows to separate and elevate a small amount. This often causes patients to look more relaxed and serene.

I offer both partial and full frown treatments. It depends on the number of treatment points that you use. When you use a little less, patients without deep lines usually smooth out but still keep some movement.

Hope this helps

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will treating my frown line affect my ability to move my eyebrows

+1

The answer is if it is done right, treating the frown line should not affect your ability to raise your eyebrows. The muscles targeted when treating the frown line are brow depressor muscles so treating the frown line generally cause a slight elevation of the medial (central portion) of the brow without affecting the brow elevators so there should be no problem.  You are correct early and continued Botox usage will prevent this from becoming a permanently indented ridge. 

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist