Difficulty Closing Left Eyelid After Botox

I had Botox injections on frown lines. Now, I'm having difficulty closing my left eyelid. Is this normal? If so, is there a treatment for this symptom?

Botox complications

+1

Botox was most likely was injected into the frown muscle, but spread into the upper eyelid. If it spreads into the upper eyelid, it probably paralyzed the levator muscle which is responsible for opening the eyelid.

A partial return of function should return relatively soon (wihtin weeks), but may take as much as 3 months to regain full eyelid function. However, you can expect full return of function without any permanent complications.

Difficulty closing left eyelid

+1

What you are experiencing is a well described but uncommon complication with botox injections. It is not normal, but this effect may wear off in the next few weeks, and definitely within 3-4 months. While you have this problem, the important thing is to ensure that your left eye is not becoming dry, red and irritated from being open constantly. If this is occurring, you should use artificial tears, gel or ointment until you are able to close the eye fully again without difficulty.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.