When Should I Go for Botox Touch-up?

I had Botox in my forehead and between my brows almost 10 days ago. I do see the lift on my eye area but not in the nasty line between my eyes (my main concern). Is this time to go in for a touch-up or should I wait a little longer?

Botox Touch Up Should be Done in 2 Weeks

+2

We usually set up a follow up touch up appointment for Botox patients. This is because it can take two weeks to see the full effect of a Botox Injection into the Facial Muscles.

If you inject Botox earlier say at 4 days before the initial injection has had it's full effect you may cause weakness that you do not want and it would be a waste of Botox.

Wait two weeks before a Botox Touch Up.

Botox effects on skin may take longer

+2

The effects of Botox on the SKIN may take longer than the effects on the muscle.

While the muscle is generally weakened in 3-5 days, it can take several weeks to even months to see an effect on the skin.

Let me explain with an analogy. If you wear a pair of pants all day long, you will form many wrinkles from walking and bending. At the end of the day, you will have many wrinkles but the next morning, after being on the hanger all night long, many of the wrinkles will have worked themselves out.

Think about how long you have been forming that wrinkle between your eyes, 20 or 30 years? Give it time to relax.

The real test is if you attempt to frown and you see little muscle movement, then the Botox has accomplished it's primary goal. Give it more time for the wrinkles to relax and work themselves out. If you still see significant muscle action with attempted frowning, then I would return at the two week mark for more Botox.

I hope that is not too simplified of an explanation.

See how it looks in about 4 more days

+2

Hello Heather344,

If you still see the pronounced line in between your eyebrows in another four days, schedule a visit to go in and see your surgeon for a check and possible touch up. If the line is well etched in your skin, you can have sufficient muscle relaxation without erasure of the line, in which case you will need a filler like Juvederm or Radiesse to smooth out the line. Remember that you will likely need follow-up Botox treatments in 3 to 4 months to maintain your results. Good Luck!

Anifat Balogun, MD

Yes for the touch up

+2

Botox takes between 3-7 days to work, but I like to give it up to 2 weeks to be sure. I routinely have my new patients come in at 2 weeks to evaluate if they need additional Botox in any given area. Once the proper number of units is determined for any given area, this amount tends to be quite stable over time. As a side note, your line in between your brow may not completely resolve with Botox. If your muscles are still moving, then more Botox is the answer. If your muscles in that area are not moving anymore and you still have a crease, you may need a little bit of filler placed in there. I would recommend talking to your doctor.

Brian S. Glatt, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Wait a full 2 weeks.

+2

Hi! It does sound like you will need more Botox between your eyebrows. I typically use 25 units in this area in women.

The other possibility is that your frown line is deeply etched in the skin, in which case Botox alone will not erase it You may need a little Restylane injected to fill the line as well.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Usually 2 weeks is a standard waiting period, but don't be shy if it isn't perfect

+2

Thanks for your question.

Usually, you will want to wait about 2 weeks after your Botox procedure before you go in for a touch up. Botox starts working about 4-5 days after the injections, but the complete predictable effect is really only officially seen after 14 days.

That being said, I would wait about 4 more days, and then assess your final results. In my experience, what you have around 10 days is very likely what you will have in 14, so you may certainly need a touch up. The most important thing is to not feel shy about going in if you feel your results aren't perfect for you.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox touch-up

+1

I generally book back my Botox patients 2 weeks after their treatment to give them the complete chance for the Botox to fully kick in. At that point, you can consider adding more units of Botox if need be, and in some cases some filler too.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox follow-up

+1

It takes about one to three days to see the effects of Botox injections. The treated area will continue to improve for up to two weeks and that's when I schedule my patients to return, to see if a touch-up is needed.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Touch-ups after Botox

+1

I usually like to see patients about 2 weeks after a Botox treatment to evaluate the areas that were treated. 

Nasty frown line between eyes

+1

Hi Heather,

10 Days should be long enough to see the result of your Botox injections. We schedule 2 week checkups every time we offer a new procedure for a patient. This way, we can address all concerns while the results are fresh.

Lots of good advice from the other practitioners in that the nasty frown line may actually require a bit of dermal fillers to correct. This is not all that uncommon in this area. Check with your practitioner to be sure. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD