Botox for Tension Headache?

they originate from me “scrunching” up the muscles in my face all day long at work. I work on a computer and do a lot of reading. I do not get these headaches on days I am not working. I get migraines on occasion, triggered by light. I am 28 y/o and have FitzP type I skin w/little/no sun damage, I do have the beginnings of crow’s feet/sagging skin around my eyes. 1) how many/which locations would be beneficial for these tension headaches; 2) if these would be beneficial for the appearance of my eyes

Botox for tension headaches

+2

In your case, Botox would be an effective treatment for your tension headaches, and you'd get the benefits of a cosmetic result as well. I would recommend a full treatment, where the glabella (the muscle between your brows that furrows), the full forehead, and the crow's feet are all treated. If you have specific points that you can point to where the tension headaches pull and hurt, small units of Botox may also be put in there. But simply, if you inject the three locations above to stop your ability to pull and scrunch your face up, the tension should subside in general.

Botox May Help With Your Headaches

+1

If your headaches are truly coming from the "scrunching" you mention, then it is entirely possible that Botox would help with the pain. However, if the headaches are coming from tension in the muscles around your scalp and hairline, Botox in your facial area may not completely alleviate the problem.

Botox would be great for those lines forming on your forehead and around your eyes, but may or may not help with the headaches just depending on the exact cause. I would consult with a physician who specializes in performing Botox for tension headaches, whether it is a plastic surgeon or neurologist, as to how to proceed. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injecting Botox For Tension Headaches

+1

There are specific points that are typically injected to alleviate tension headaches that include within the scalp and over the back of the head, as it is typically posture and position that contribute to these headaches.  Nevertheless, I do have patients who I treat for cosmetic indications, such as the forehead and glabella, and their headaches do improve.  You can always try to first treat the cosmetic areas you are concerned with and see if it truly does make a difference in your headaches. If not, you can see a neurologist to inject the specific headache points throughout the scalp.  Good luck.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox is exceedingly effective.

+1

Botox is exceedingly effective. The challenge in patients with headache is to determine the proper location in which to place the Botox and the amount of Botox to use in each site. There are well accepted guidelines based upon experience and many studies and so we would usually start with a pattern and dose that is based upon this experience. But, it may take some customization of the treatment plan to achieve the best possible outcome for each individual patient.

A possible side effect when we treat for headache may be the reduction of wrinkles.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and tension headaches

+1

I would recommend you consult with a well-trained and experienced provider to help you better determine your specific needs. Yes, you can get relief from headaches by using Botox and it does help soften lines around the eyes.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox for headaches

+1

Botox can and may help any headaches that are triggered by muscle use and tension of muscles. Neurologists do specialize in this but unless the headache meets criteria for coverage insurance will not cover the cost. In my state the only headaches that are covered are migraines that have not been improved with other methods and that occur about fifteen days a month for a certain number of hours per day. So, all headaches don't get botox coverage. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Tension headaches can be relieved with Botox

+1

Botox in the glabella and forehead will relieve your headaches. There is no need to treat the crow's feet. See a neurologist as this may be covered by your insurance.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox for migraines

+1

Yes Botox injections into the muscle groups which are the originating source of a migrain headache can be very beneficial.  The specialists who have the greatest experience with using Botox for migraines are neurologists.  I would strongly encourage you to start by seeing a neurologist to explore the cause and potential treatment and/or prevention of migraines.  If Botox is part of the prescribed plan, they could then do the injections for you.  Often if you go this way you will find out that your insurance will pay for Botox injections.  Doing it through dermatologists or plastic surgeon will virtually always be treated as a cosmetic expense. 

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon