How Much Botox for Preventative Treatment?

I am planning on getting preventative Botox and wanted to know how many units you would suggest for someone who is not trying to fix wrinkles. From what I have read men (I'm a 22 year old male) usually require more. The areas I am looking into are forehead, between the eyes and around the eye where crows feet would occur. Thank you.

Botox for prevention

+1

Botox can certainly be useful to help prevent the dynamic wrinkles of the face from becoming more prominent with time.  At your age, I would first make sure that you are on a excellent skin care regimen and wearing daily sunscreen to prevent photoaging.

You are right that men do often require more product than women due to the bulk of the musculature but I am often very conservative when placing Botox for prevention of future wrinkles.  You may not need much but this will have to be assessed by your provider during your consultation. 

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Preventative Botox

+1

The amount of Botox for prevention is certainly less than for active treatment, and men often need quite a bit more Botox than women. I would speak with your dermatologist to get you on a great skin care routine (e.g. retinol/tretinoin, sunscreen, vitamin C etc) and other lifestyle advice. Botox is a bit early for your age, but could be done if your physician felt it warranted.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox to prevent wrinkles

+1

There are times that botox is used to prevent the muscle from contracting so much that wrinkles will form, however, keep in mind that these wrinkles are not the same as sun damage--induced wrinkles that are present whether you use the muscles or not.  So when someone has repeated botox injections every four months or so, the lines stay away. But when they have a longer delay in between treatments and the botox wears off, the motion-induced lines come back.  So if you truly are trying to prevent lines, you would be starting now at your very young age and continuing botox indefinitely. That is a huge amount of money that you will be spending over the years. You should consider waiting for the time where you just start seeing the lines forming and then commence with Botox or Dysport. If it were only one area, such as in between the eyebrows, and you look very similar to one of your parents and they have such deep lines there, it might be more reasonable to start Botox for that focal area, but again, you could easily wait for them to begin and your result should be very good.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Preventative botox

+1

At 22, with no wrinkles, you should not be thinking of "preventative" Botox. You will do just fine with it when you need it and starting now may cause you more harm than benefit. We do not know what using 50 years of this treatment will do. I feel that it will be perfectly safe but wonder whether at some point one might develop antibodies to use of large quantities over many years. My guess is that this will not be a problem but why treat what isn't broken. There are things to start on now. You should use a sunscreen every morning and starting a retinoid at night would be good. JO H

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox for men

+1

Men tend to have low or heavy set eyebrows, which tends to get worse as they age.  It is important not to put too much Botox into the forehead to prevent the eyebrows from descending further.  This is not as much of a concern in a 22 year old male as it would be in an older male.  I do feel that Botox can be a preventative treatment to prevent wrinkles from occurring or from getting deeper, but most patients who do Botox in my practice are a bit older than 22.   

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox For Wrinkle Prevention in 22 Year Old Male

+1

At 22 with no visible wrinkles I don't think you should be considering Botox yet.  There is plenty of time.  Men generally require higher doses than women as they have larger and stronger muscles; each treatment is individualized for a particular patient.  Save your money at this time, but if you are concerned about prevention and aging, please use sunscreen at all times!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox is not a preventative treatment

+1
The indication for Botox is for wrinkles or creases in areas of active muscular movement. If you do not have wrinkles, then there is nothing to fix and Botox would not be of benefit. remember that Botox is a temporary treatment which lasts about six months so having something that you do not need now would not preclude or reduce the later development of lines. I personally would not inject you with Botox absent clinical indications as I would find it unethical to do so.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Botox Dose

+1

The dose of Botox is different for every patient, the areas to be treated and the desired effect.  Without seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  Yes, men usually require a slight higher dose than women.  Most people average in the 50 to 60 unit range for a treatment that softens the wrinkles but maintains natural animation.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Botox for a young man to prevent further wrinkles

+1

It's very hard to give you personal advice about dosing of Botox.  In general men do require more Botox than women because their muscles are bigger.  A rough estimate for a 22 year old male is about 20-25 units in the glabella, 10-15 in the crows feet, and about 8-10 units in the forehead.  Dosing would be about double that in a male in his 40's.

Steven F. Weiner, MD