Botox for Post-mini-facelift Tightness?

Can Botox be used to relieve severe post-mini-facelift tightness in the scalp and face around ears? If so, what is the smallest amount that would be effective? Thank you.

Tightness in Scalp and Around Ears after Facelift and Botox

+1

If conventional techniques were used in the facelift, then the tightness is the result of skin pull and SMAS tightness.  Sometimes, Botox in a muscle may be helpful, but this would be dependent upon where and into what sutures were placed.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Botox For Tight Feeling After A Lift

+1

Feeling tightness after a facelift is common.  The tightness is typically due to the SMAS/deeper layer suspended posterior superiorly.  In some cases, this tightness is due to excessive skin removal.  Either way, botox will not alleviate the tightness.  The tightness is an early phenomenon with most facelift patients not concerned with it after several weeks.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Resolving tightness..

+1

The sense of tightness after your procedure in the scalp in the face, and the eyes is more likely related to the tone of the skin after the procedure as well as the healing process. It is not likely in my opinion that Botox would be helpful for relief of that sense of tightness you’re experiencing. Botox as you maybe aware is a treatment to relax muscles that are active in motion which cause wrinkles. If you feel like your forehead or eyebrows are wrinkled then Botox or Dysport would be worthwhile considering. If you had brow lifting surgery and face lifting surgery it doesn’t sound like having Botox would be a good idea for you to relieve the tight feeling. Usually this tight feeling resolves with some time as your body adjusts to this new architecture.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for neck and face tightness after Facelift

+1

As other doctors have mentioned, Botox or Dysport is normally not used to treat the facial tightness one may experience after a facelift or minilift. Time and gentle massage may be your best methods to improve tightness in the neck, face, or scalp. However, Botox applied to the forehead or in-between the eyebrows may possibly relieve some of your symptoms. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can your plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Post-mini-facelift Tightness?

+1

I have performed Face Lifts for over 25 years and doubt Botox injections will have any effect on relieving the tight sensation.  The tightness is much more likely a result of pulling the skin tight before resection.  Time and decreased swelling will make this relax.  This is of course unless some method of suspension was placed under the skin which maybe the cause of the tightness that you feel.

Botox is Not Your Best Option For Post- Facelift Tightness

+1

I suppose it would be possible to use Botox for this, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. It is normal to have some post procedure tightness, but usually not to this degree. I would certainly start with ice, heat, or a combination of the two. I might even talk to my surgeon about a short course of oral steroids for it's anti-inflammatory effect. If there is a sense of muscle spasm to the sensation, a mild muscle relaxant might be worth a try before I would think about using botox. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox after mini facelift

+1

Botox would have no indication here...try to do things to relieve swelling and sometimes, just time and healing will resolve the sensations that you are experiencing.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

No. Botox has no role for this.

+1

It is hard to know precisely what you are referring to without a consultation.  Some post surgical tightness is normal.  Abnormal post surgical tightness is, well, not normal.  Depending on the time of this discomfort you may be describing dysaesthesia.  Often these improve over 6 to 12 months.  Severe situations can occasionally be benefited from medications like Neuronton. 

Botox after mini-face lift

+1

I'm not sure why there would be severe tightness in the scalp after a mini-face lift; however, any tightness due to muscle can be improved with botox injection.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon