Botox for Migraines and Pregnancy?

I have very bad chronic migraines, I just started getting botox treatment for them, and it has changed my life. However, I would like to have another child in the next few years. I'm wondering what my options are to balance the two. Thanks

Botox for Migraines and Pregnancy?

+2

Botox is a category C medication according to the FDA during pregnancy. This means that studies have not been performed to demonstrate that Botox is safe during pregnancy. If there is a migraine medication deemed to be safe during pregnancy that helps you, you would be best off using that medication as you can ensure that there is no risk to your baby if you do become pregnant. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Migraines and Pregnancy?

+1

Hi Penelope 

Botox is a great alternative for migraines and my patients seem to love it, if you are pregnant/breast feeding or trying to get pregnant, I suggest STOP having any type of injectables for time being.

This is a decision you can reasonably make with your injecting physician.

+1

While doctors do not perform cosmetic botox treatments on pregnant women, botox treatments for medical reasons are a completely different matter.  Here you and your treating physician need to weigh the benefits of treatment against the potential risk of harm to you and your unborn baby.  The literature is not particularly illuminating on the relatively safety of this practice.  The decision will depend on the severity of the underlying medical condition.   These types of decisions are a private matter between you, your injecting phyisican and possibly the consulting perinatologist.

Botox & prenancy

+1

Dear Penelope2232: Do not use Botox during pregnancy or breast feeding. If you are trying to get pregnant stop the Botox.

Stephen E. Metzinger, MD
Metairie Plastic Surgeon

#botox for #migraines and #pregnancies

+1

Hi

As others have stated, Botox should not be used during pregnancy or during breast feeding and if you are actively trying to get pregnant then you should not use Botox.  

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

No Botox in pregnancy

+1

As already stated Botox is an absolute contraindication in pregnancy. However you may find that your migraines will get better on their own during your pregnancy.  There are other medications that your OB may also be able to recommend.  

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for migraines and pregnancy

+1

No matter the reason, Botox cannot be used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. So, there isn't a choice here or way to balance the two. You can't get Botox if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, period.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Migranes, pregnancy, botox

+1

There is no discussion about this... if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, Botox is NOT approved for use by the FDA.  You must discuss with your OBGyn. 

Dr. Grant Stevens        Marina Plastic Surgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA         The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD