Botox for Masseter Hypertrophy/Jawline Slimming/Bruxism?

I had 30 units of botox injected into each of my masseters. According to my research, this procedure is usually done in three injections. However, my doctor only did one injection on each side and moved the needle around the masseter once it was inside. Is this common practice? Secondly, after the injections, the doctor said to not massage the injected areas. However, according to my research, it is recommended to massage the areas. Is this normal or should I change doctors?

Botox technique for masseter reduction

+2

The injector used a single needle stick to minimize needlesticks (presumably). This is a technique that is possble as the injector was trying to use less needle sticks and instead was moving the needle tip while inside with a single dermal inection site. This, according to some injectors, reduced bruising.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox for Masseter Muscle

+2

Hi Scarred.  When we inject Botox (or Dysport) into the masseter muscle, we typically use 25 Units (75 for Dysport).  The injections are usually performed 3-4 times per year.  

The product is not massaged once injected and a good injector will not need you to move it around once it is placed.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox for masseter muscle

+2

When injecting Botox for the masseter muscle, or any other treated muscle, it is important to distribute the Botox throughout the muscle.  This can be done with multiple injections or it can be done with fewer injections that are spread under the skin.  The result should be the same but the techniques are different. In regards to massage, this will vary from doctor to doctor as well.  Some may recommend it and others will not.  As long as the Botox is injected throughout the muscle, I don't think massage or no massage will make much of a difference.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Masseter Injection Technique

+1

The technique utilized is reasonable and, if performed correctly, achieves the same results as another technique.

Botox and masseter treatments

+1

Depending on the injector, techniques vary. Discuss your expectations and get educated on what your provider does and why to feel better about your treatments going forward.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox for masseter hypertrophy

+1

From your description, your doctor treated you appropriately and gave you good advice - do not massage any area that has been treated with Botox.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox to masseter muscle

+1

I usually use 30-50 units split between the two sides and perform multiple injections.  It will take several months and treatments to see results,.