Is Botox a Good Option for Glabella Wrinkles?

I just recently got botox to treat my glabella area however i more have a "1" than an "11" because my left muscle is significantly stronger than the right. my frown line is evident only on the left side. My surgeon started off conservative with 20 units. 4 days later, i went back & added 5 addl units. a week later i come back and get 10 all units around the area. My question is.. with that recent dose i got, so should i see results 5-7 days from the most recent time???

Botox Cosmetic for frown lines

+2

Every injector probably administers Botox Cosmetic a little differently. For moderate to severe frown lines, I typically start with 20 units total and make five separate injections each with 4 units. It usually takes a day for the medication to start working and one week for it to have its final effect.  In your case, 35 units really does sound like a lot for treatment of frown lines, however it's hard to say without an exam.  Assuming the medication was reconstituted and administered appropriately, you should begin to see a difference within a day or so from the last injections. 

Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Botox for forehead wrinkles

+2

Botox is an excellent choice for the treatment of glabellar, or verticle forehead lines.  In fact, there are the wrinkles the Botox is FDA approved to treat.  it take up to 2 weeks to see the full effects of Botox.  It sounds like you may have needed more time rather than more Botox. 

Dina D. Strachan, M.D. 

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Botox for the glabella

+2

Botox works by relaxing the muscles that cause frown lines to form. Many times, the deeper wrinkles will not be adequately resolved. Adding a filler will help. Also, continuing Botox (or other wrinkle relaxer) treatments every four to six months works over time to lessen these deeper wrinkles.

Donna Rich, MD

Seeing the Results of Botox

+2

Botox is one of the best things around for eliminating glabella lines. Rather than "plumping" like collagen and fat, Botox blocks the impulses that nerves send to muscles, essentially paralyzing the muscles and diminishing their ability to tense. It takes one to three days to see the effects, and the treated area will continue to improve for up to two weeks. That's when I schedule my patients to return, to see if a touch-up is needed.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Botox for glabellar wrinkles

+2

Typically 20-25 units of Botox is sufficient for most glabellar wrinkles.  Botox and Dysport can both help to reduce these lines by stopping the muscle movement and imparting a more relaxed look to the entire area.  I usually recommend 1-2 treatments with these neurotoxins over 4-6 months before considering other methods to reduce the lines.  Restylane and Juvederm can be added to this area later to help fill in residual lines that do not completely fade after the Botox or Dysport.  Good luck.

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Botox for glabella wrinkle

+2

Botox is a great treatment for glabella creases like you mention. The dose you've had should be enough to treat the area fully. If you still note a crease despite this you may benefit from a filler to efface the crease further. Another option is skin resurfacing.

The botox works to stop dynamic wrinkles by stopping the muscle movement in the area. To fully address a crease that is present even at rest, other treatments may need to be added. Botox can help to prevent further etching in of the line in the area, though.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Botox in corrugators

+2

First of all 4 days is not enought time to wait until you see the effects of Botox.  It can take up to a week. Second the deep etched lines may not resolve completely, and may take treatments repeated every several months to achieve the desired effect. Furthermore, I sometimes inject a small almount of filler in the area as wel to soften them.

Be Cautious about more Botox

+2

With all the injections you have had I would be very cautious about more Botox. Your problem may need a surgical solution and more Botox may give you a droop or other problems.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox great for angry 11s--its indication for FDA approval

+2

The FDA indication is for the treatment of glabellar rhytids--the wrinkles between your eyebrows in the glabellar area.  Many people have muscle or facial asymmetry.  It is important that an experienced, board-certified physician evaluated each muscle group before treatment to relax each muscle group appropriately.  Typically, 18-30 units are used to treat glabellar wrinkles and results should last approximately 3 months.  Everyone is different, and those with greater "muscle mass" in the area of treatment may require more Botox for appropriate relaxation.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

What is the best treatment for glabellar wrinkles?

+2

The best treatment for those vertical lines between the eyes ("the 11's") is Botox which will relax the muscles that create the lines.  However if the lines are deep or persistent after full relaxation with Botox, a dermal filler like Restylane or Juvederm can be used to further smooth out those lines.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist