I'm Considering Botox for a Non-cosmetic Reason; Treatment for Hemi Facial Spasms?

Should I Be Looking for a Neurologist or a plastic surgeon to administer the botox?

+2

Many hemi facial spasms are caused by vascular pressure upon the facial nerve.  Once the proper workup has been completed and you have the approval of the treating physician to receive either Botox or Dysport...an MD qualified and experienced in using either for this type of treatment would be the most appropriate.  Typically these are ENT or Facial Plastic Surgeons that specialize in treating facial nerve injuries.  Hope this helps and the best of luck.

Botox for hemifacial spasm

+2

First, make sure you see someone with experience to evaluate the reason for your spasm.  it could be just stress or too much caffeine, but other issues with the anatomy and physiology of the facial nerve need to be cleared first.

If the "work up" is negative, then botox is an excellent choice.  In experienced hands, you can titrate doses and locations to soften muscle activity without complete blocks.  And although smaller doses will mean shorter duration for correction, it ensures a more symmetric and natural result.   The discipline of the injector, ie derm or plastics, is not as important as their overall skill and experience with botox.  Just make sure you see either a derm, oculoplastic, facial plastic, or general plastic surgeon.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for hemifacial spasm

+2

This is a very effective treatment. You need to find someone who is knowledgeable about the disease, the facial musculature and understands what you are trying to achieve in terms of muscle balance. good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hemifacial spasms and Botox

+2

I have treated this many times and find it to be life changing 

when the injector knows what he is doing.

Good luck

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Botox for Hemi Facial Spasms

+2

In this case, the specialty would not be as important as the individual physician's experience and experience with this application of botox. You will need to call around in your area to find one to three physicians in your area who performs this treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Treatment of facial spasms with botox

+1

Seeing an experienced physician who has treated multiple patients with different facial spasms is more important than the specialty.  It may be an oculoplastic surgeon, ENT facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Regardless of specialty there could be unwanted side effects of the Botox treatment such as asymmetry, and affecting important muscles of daily function.

Ronald Shelton, MD