Botox for Bruxism - As a Side Effect Will This Also Slim the Face?

Hi there, I had 25 units of botox injected to the masseters (in each side - 50 units in total) - to help with bruxism. However, I've since learnt botox to the masseters can also slim the face. I have quite a thin/narrow face so am a bit worried about slimming my jawline any further. Is 25 units a big dose? Is there a chance this can just help with bruxism, without slimming down my jawline too much? Thank you!

Botox for Bruxism (teeth-grinding) and it's effects on the facial contours.

+2

It is common to have Botox injected in the muscles of mastication as part of the treatment for bruxism (teeth grinding).  It is unlikely that the dose you mention will cause any significant changes to your facial contour.

Alternatives include the option of wearing a mouth-guard generated by your dental specialist.  Of course you must remember to wear it consistently in order to have it be effective, and compliance with this is challenging for a number of people.  

A proper evaluation including an examination a Board-Certified specialist can help determine what the appropriate next steps can and should be.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and bruxism

+2

From the amount you've had injected, I wouldn't think you'd have any significant change in the size of your masseter muscles. Typically the doses are much larger for masseter reduction and 20 Units per side (or around that amount) is indicated for TMJ and/or bruxism.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox for Bruxism - As a Side Effect Will This Also Slim the Face

+2

The dosage you received is quite a normal dosage. When using Botox to inject the masseter it does create some slimming because that muscle doesn't clench and therefore slims down by atrophing. Your whole face won't slim, but that muscle will. If you hate it, most effects of Botox wear off in about 3-4 months and your jawline and muscle will return to the way they were pre-treatment.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox in masseters for bruxism will cause a slight slimming effect of the face.

+2
25 units of Botox in each masseter will reduce the bulk of the masseters and leave your face slightly slimmer.  The goal is to weaken these muscle so you don't clinch.  By weakening them, there is some atrophy is this is done repetitively.  If you notice too much slimming, it will fill out as the muscle regains it's function when the Botox wears off.  Standard doses for slimming the face are 30-40 units per side.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Masseter reduction with Botox

+2

25 units of Botox per side is a pretty standard dose for masseter reduction.  You will notice some degree of slimming to your face because as a natural result of treating the masseter muscle with Botox, it will become smaller.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox for Bruxism

+1

Thank you for your question. It is possible that Botox may slim down your jawline and 25 units per each side is not a big dose. I would recommend consulting under a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist