Botox for Bruxisim? Any Recommendation or Experinece in the Field?

Hello i have spontaneous strong bruxisim that have destroyed my large teeth , my dentist recomended i wear gotier protective to my teeth during my sleep !! Forever !! Ofcourse not , some new articles show that botox may cure such problem if it was injected in muscle of the mouth by experinced plastic surgeon ...iam looking for any doctor who had witnessed positive results ? I was wondering if it may make my lower cheecks thinner as well ??

Botox for Teeth Grinding

+4

Thanks for the question. Bruxism, or teeth grinding, is a really exciting indication for Botox. We have successfully treated many patients who have were experiencing significant pain in the temporomandibular joint  (TMJ) due to grinding, despite the use of night guards. I typically inject 15-30 units with 3-4 injections per masseter (bite) muscle, depending on the size of the patient's muscles. The Botox begins to work within 2-3 days and most patients go 6-12 months between treatments, as they are able to break the habit of grinding. The muscles generally reduce in size, so we do have many patients who are non-grinders who come in for Botox just to achieve a slimmer jawline. It's important to avoid spread of the Botox to the smile muscles, so the injections should be performed carefully by an experienced provider. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Web reference: http://www.mehtaplasticsurgery.com/botox-dysport/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Bruxism

+3

Botox  works very well to treat this, and you are right, it will also narrow the bottom half of your face. In fact, many patients use it in the jaw muscles strictly for facial shaping. It does take a fair amount of Botox so it can be expensive, but generally patients are quite happy with the treatment. Best of luck to you.

Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruxism Treatment with Botox

+2

Botox can help with bruxism.  If you want masseteric reduction as well, you have to stay on top of it every 3 or 4 months for a year or so.

Botox to help correct Bruxism

+2

Although it is an off label use, Botox can be injected into the masseter muscles to help alleviate bruxism or teeth grinding.  By relaxing these muscles the tension on the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) can be relieved and the bulk of the muscle reduced.   The result can last for 6 months or substantially longer. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.vincentleporemd.com

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Botox to the masseter muscles

+2

Your best first step is to meet with a reputable, experienced, and well-trained injector to discuss all of your options. Botox is commonly used to minimize the muscles you are referring and to to treat bruxism.

Botox can help with bruxism

+2

Thank you for your question. Botox is a neurotoxin that interferes with the communication of motor nerves to their muscles. It is not FDA approved for injection into the masseter muscles but it is commonly done either for grinding of the teeth at night which may cause headaches or TMJ problems or to shrink the muscles to narrow the width of the lower face as an 'off-label' use of the product. It is very successful for this purpose and patients tend to be very happy with their treatments. Make sure that you see a physician that is experienced in this treatment.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.