Botox for Blephorspasms: Can Redness Reliever Eyedrops Help Counter Closing Eyelids?

My mother has been getting botox injections for blephorspasms. She's been getting these shots for nearly 20 yrs. A new doctor gave her thes last shots, and now her eyelids are nearly closed. She can see only be tilting her head back. The doctor said he may have given her too much botox, and that it will wear off in time. In the meantime, though? I read online that "redness reliever" eyedrops may help counter this ('til the botox wears off), but is this true?

Treatment for Closing Eyelids After Botox

+2

Drooping of the eyelids after Botox injections is rare and likely due in this case to your mom going to an inexperienced injector.  All too often we see physicians who are not facial plastic surgeons, general plastic surgeons, dermatologists or oculoplastic specialists starting to offer these treatments without much background in the anatomy and physiology of this region.  The result is a higher complication rate and patient dissatisfaction.

Fortunately for your mother, there are options to help counteract the closing of her eyelids.  Iopidine or neosynephrine eyedrops can be used, usually with benefit.  Contact the doctor who did the injection for advice and a prescription, rather than treating based on what you read online.  Of course, the effects of the Botox will wear off after a few months, but then the blepharospasms will return.  Advise your mother to then go back to her previous physician for the next treatment!

Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid droop complication with Botox in eyelid spasm treatment

+1

If the levator muscle in the upper eyelid has been relaxed, then some eyedrops may help lift the upper eyelid but only a little, and not all the way. To determine what is affected by the Botox, temporarily, an oculoplastic surgeon can determine if the levator may be affected.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

Yes there are over the counter eye drops that can help the situation however, she should go back and be evaluated by the MD that did her Botox injections for specific recommendations.  

Call her doctor's office and specifically ask for a recommendation for drops to help her.

+1

I am so sorry to learn that your mother is having an issue with her botox treatment for blepharospasm.  Unfortunately, this type of side effect is sometimes unavoidable.  Iopidine eye drops can sometimes help.  Other alpha adrenergic agonists drops can also be beneficial.  These drops may not work until some of the BOTOX has worn.  It is my experience that once the drops are effective, the eyelid heaviness is likely to wear off with in 4 to 6 weeks.