Botox or Fillers on Someone Considered High-risk for Breast Cancer?

I am considered high risk for breast cancer. I am weary of injecting Botox or fillers, for fear that they may be toxic. Is my fear unfounded?

No worries

+2
Botox and fillers are fine to use regardless of your risk of breast cancer. My advice is to try Botox first, wait 2 weeks, then return for any Botox touch ups and get your fillers. Hope this helps. Take care.

Austin Dermatologist

No known relationship between Botox and breast cancer

+2

Even patients who already have had breast cancer have been treated with Botox for cosmetic reasons. There is no medical reason known against it. 

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and fillers have no effect on breast cancer risk.

+1

Botox is a protein that blocks neurotransmitter signals to contract muscles, and it works only on the muscles where it is injected. There is no change in risk of breast cancer whether Botox is used or not, so if it makes you feel better about your appearance, just go right ahead!

None of the presently-used fillers have any effect on breast cancer risk either. Ask your doctor for information about your speific filler of choice if you have any concern at all.

To put things in perspective, there are many risk factors, not only for breast cancer, but for virtually every aspect of our health and well-being. Breast cancer risks are appropriately concerning, but you need not worry about Botox or fillers having any effect on you own individual breast cancer risk factors. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Breast Cancer

+1

Quick Answer: There is no reason to believe Botox or fillers will affect your likelihood of developing breast cancer.

Botox and fillers are completely unrelated to breast cancer. While there are many factors that can contribute to developing breast cancer, fortunately Botox and filler injections do not. In our San Francisco area practice we provide these treatments regardless of one’s risk or history of breast cancer.

Furthermore, injectable products such as Botox and fillers are intended to act locally, meaning stay where they are injected and not affect other parts of the body. For example when the products are injected in to the face, there are no changes to the breast, even on a microscopic level.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Botox and Breast Cancer

+1

Their are a few contraindications for Botox, however a risk for Breast Cancer is not one of them.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Soft Tissue Fillers do NOT cause Cancer

+1

Regarding: "Botox or Fillers on Someone Considered High-risk for Breast Cancer?
I am considered high risk for breast cancer
. I am weary of injecting Botox or fillers, for fear that they may be toxic. Is my fear unfounded
?"

Botox and all the soft tissue fillers on the American market have been shown overwhelmingly to be safe and to NOT cause or worsen cancers of ANY kind. The every day clinical use of Botox and fillers is NOT associated with causation of ANY disease, including cancer.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Botox and Fillers Not Associated with Cancer

+1

There is no known or even suspected connection between Botox or any of the fillers on the market.  Many woman have even been treated with Botox and fillers while also treating a pre-existing breast cancer.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox does not cause cancer

+1

You have no need to worry.  Botox and fillers do not cause cancer.  Please make sure that you are injected by a board certified experienced physician.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Botox and or Fillers with Breast Cancer?

+1

The fact that you are high risk for breast cancer should not affect (from a medical perspective) your decision to undergo Botox or dermal filler injections.  There is no link between the two.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

No link between Botox and breast cancer

+1

Botox and dermal fillers can safely be used in patients who are at a high risk for breast cancer. Botox and dermal fillers are medicines that are injected directly underneath the skin. These medicines remain in the skin and rarely move from this location. Many of our patients and our practice to have a history of breast cancer successfully use Botox and dermal fillers for cosmetic purposes.

For more information on Botox or to schedule an iConsult, please visit us online at: 

Pat Pazmino, MD