Can Botox Fill in Cleft Chin?

I have heard of Botox being used to fill in chin dimples, but I am wondering if it can fill in a cleft chin? I have disliked my cleft chin ever since I was a little girl and was wondering if I could do something about it without having to get surgery.

Botox is not a good treatment for a cleft chin. Fillers such as Restylane are better

+1

a cleft chin is not related to muscle contraction, so relaxation of the mentalis muscle of the chin would not minimize the clefting, It can help smoothen dimples related to the muscle movement though. Restylane or Juvederm fillers can be injected with good result to improve a cleft chin. Of course, this has to be repeated.

Botox for Cleft Chin?

+1

The reason Botox is used for chin dimples is because dimples are caused by muscle contraction and Botox relaxes the targeted muscle. For a cleft chin, you would use an injectable filler instead of Botox. Restylane or Radiesse would be great options for getting rid of the cleft in your chin.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Options for cleft chin

+1

Start with Botox and if this relaxes the mentalis muscle enough to decrease the cleft then great. If not the next step would be to fill the cleft from underneath with a commercially available filler. Unfortunately the cleft is usually there for a reason and that is that there are dermal connections to the underlying muscles and fascia. Separating those connections is usually the most effective and requires a fairly simple surgical procedure.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

A UNDESIRABLE CLEFT IN THE CHIN RESPONDS WELL TO A COMBINATION OF VOLUMIZING FILLERS AND DYSPORT

+1

In general, a cleft in the chin would respond best to a volumizing filler, such as Radiesse or a combination of Radiesse and Perlane L (both of which can provide lift) and the use of microdroplets of a neuromodulator, such as Dysport, Botox, or Xeomin, to relax the surrounding musculature of the chin that may be contributing to cleft.

If the two procedures are to be performed at different treatment sessions, I would recommend that the neuromodulator be performed first and then a couple of weeks later the volumizer filler injected. Two weeks is generally sufficient time to see just how much improvement can be achieved via the neuromodulator alone. In this way a more exact amount of volumizing filler may be used. 

If, however, both procedures are being performed on the same day, it is best to inject the volumizing filler first and then the neuromodulator afterward. If performed in the opposite order there is an increased risk that the introduction of the volumizer might lead to spread of the neuromodulator outside the region into which it was injected.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Use of botox in the chin

+1

Botox is used primarily in the chin for people with a "peau d'orange" or wrinkled chin. Around 6-10 units are typically injected and it works quite nicely. For a depression or loss of volume, we would use a filler like juvederm or restylane or radiesse.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for the chin

+1

Greetings~

Though Botox won't fill the dimples or cleft in your chin it may help to relax the muscles in the chin in such a way that it can help to soften the appearance.  Once the Botox has had time to take effect (we suggest waiting a week) then you can consider a filler in addition to the Botox to help smooth any remaining dimples and fill in areas you don't like.  The benefit to using a hyaluronic acid filler like Juvederm, Restylane, or Perlane for example is that it can be dissolved if you don't like it.  Chin augmentation with Botox and fillers is very popular and very gratifying for patients.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Botox for a cleft chin

+1

Botox is primarily used to smooth wrinkles in an area.  It is commonly used for:

1) Forehead wrinkles
2) Crow's feet
3) Glabella (11 lines)
4) Small wrinkles above the upper lip known as "smoker's lines."
5) To raise the corners of the mouth

In the chin, Botox can be used to relax a tight muscle to smooth it.  It would not fill in a chin dimple.

If you were looking to temporarily fill in a dimple, then a facial filler would be a great choice.   Posting photos would help to get a better idea of the issue you are experiencing.  Thanks and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Botox Fill in Cleft Chin?

+1

No Botox injections smooth our chin creases and dimples because these are created by muscles that the Botox weakens.  Botox however does not add volume, so it can't fill in a cleft.  per lane or Radiesse would be better suited for that purpose.

Cleft chin and botox

+1

Botox/Dysport works on muscles to diminish lines and wrinkles.  Since a cleft chin is a depression and not subject to the pull of muscles, using a filler material to fill in and elevate this depression would be a better choice.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Filling a cleft?

+1

BOTOX relaxes lines while materials like Juvederm and Restylane fill them. BOTOX may relax the muscles enough to make the cleft less noticeable, but wont completely erase it. You may need to consider a plastic surgical procedure if you really really want it gone.

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist