Botox for Bad Scarring?

Can Botox be used for facial wounds that scar badly? How will it work?

Botox used occasionally for acne scarring

+2

Although I have not used BOTOX for acne scarring, some have found it somewhat successful for this problem. It seems to work by relaxing the local muscle tone and thereby letting the scar soften. Its use for this, even by proponents, is limited, especially compared to fillers. I personally like Cosmoderm for this use, but the hyaluronic acid fillers are also quite good. Injection technique has to be quite precise, or you might end up with blue blebs.

Hope this answers your questions.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox may help prevent hypertrophic scars

+1

There are some reports that use of Botox will relax the muscle cells that are active in scar tissue. The results of this intervention are largely anectodal and the value of Botox in enhancing scar healing is largely unknown.

Never heard of this

+1

Botox temporarily paralyzes the muscles that cause wrinkles on the face.  Other than this, I am not sure what role it has in scar treatment other than in those few instances where scar healing may be helped by minimizing underlying muscle action.