Can Botox Extend the Life of Fillers?

I saw somewhere that Botox will make fillers last longer. Is there any truth to this? If so, how does it work?

Botox and fillers

+1

The best way to improve a dynamic wrinkle is to first botox it, then place a filler once the botox is working. The less wrinkling in a line, the longer the filler will last. So get some botox, wait a few weeks, then have the line filled.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Botox extending the duration of effectiveness of fillers

+1

If the botox is used in the same region as where the filler is used to treat lines, then the relaxed area is theorized not to contract and stimulate the dissolving of the fillers as rapidly. Interestingly, it is rare to use fillers in the glabella between the eyebrows or in the crows' feet, the areas that Botox is commonly used.  Botox is rarely used in smile creases, mid cheeks for volume, and marionette lines. These are the areas that fillers are primarily used.  In some patients we have seen with an off-label use of Botox used as very small units (one unit to 1.5 per site), four maximum insertion sites, along the skin-colored upper lip to relax the pursing muscle action, that the vertical lip lines can diminish without filler but when filler is continued to be used, its duration seems to be longer through the relaxation effect of the Botox. Please make sure if any provider is injecting your lip with Botox that they have a great deal of experience with this as side effects can be very troublesome for up to four months, especially if you are a speaker, signer, wind insrument musician, etc.  Speech and eating function could be affected if there are too many units of Botox or if it is inserted into key perioral muscles.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/botox/index.html

Botox can help improve the results of fillers

+1

Hi,

I have seen that in the forehead especially, using a filler in combination with Botox helps preserve the filler a bit longer. I believe that if you use the filler alone, then the constant motion of the muscle will cause the filler product to degrade sooner. This is why in parts of the face where there is more movement the filler is degraded sooner. (In general, filler tends to last longer under the eye and cheek area, than in the laugh lines around the mouth). So if you place the filler in an area that has been immobilized by Botox, it makes sense that the product doesn’t get degraded as quickly. There are a couple of studies in the literature that report improved patient satisfaction and patient impression of results lasting longer when the two are used in combination. I hope this helps!

Dr.Sunder

Web reference: http://www.sunderplasticsurgery.com

Botox/Filler Relationship

+1

Generally botox and fillers are not used in the same areas and would not effect each other.

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Can Extend Benefit Of Fillers

+1

I feel that Botox does often extend the benefit of Restylane and other superficial fillers.  The reason is that these fillers tend to last longer in areas where there is less motion.  Botox certainly, by paralyzing the muscles of expression, decreases the movement in the areas in which it has been injected.

Botox, Fillers, Face

+1

As I have respectfuly discussed with my colleagues. I have found that fillers last longer in non mobile areas, meaning that if you have deep vertical lines between your eyebrows, and botox cannot completely erase them, a filler is then used on top. Complete correction can then be acheived and because the muscles do not move, the results are much more long lasting then if you try to simply use a filler alone.

Can Botox Extend the Life of Fillers?

+1

No, Botox relaxes muscles while fillers like Restylane and Perlane add volume to the tissues.  The Botox would not have any physiological way to increase the duration of the fillers just because the muscles were weakened. 

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Can Botox Extend the Life of Fillers?

+1

You know I'm asked this exact question at least once a month. I do not know where this illogical concept started but for the record there is no relationship between fillers and BOTOX. 

Botox extending fillers?

+1

Botox as far as I know does not extend the life of fillers in anyway, but it can compliment the results.

Using Botox and fillers together for longer lasting results

+1

I often recommend using botulinum toxin (such as Botox or Dysport) in the same area where fillers are used.  The combination can provide a more complete correction especially of deep wrinkles in the glabella (frown line) and lip "pucker" lines.  The filler result appears to last longer because the muscles that caused the wrinkle in the first place are weaker and are unable to crease the skin.  If the botulinum toxin treatments are done regularly for maintenance, the filler may not need to be repeated as often. 

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon