Can Botox Work for Excessive Underarm Sweating?

Yes

+1

BOTOX is formulated with botulinum toxin, a substance that is able to interfere with the transmission of signals sent to glands and muscles. Because hyperhidrosis sufferers are afflicted by overactive sweat glands, BOTOX is able to provide relief by interrupting the processes that cause those glands to secrete more sweat than they should. When this process is interrupted, excess sweating is significantly reduced.  

Botox works great from underarm sweating

+1

I've always been amazed that more people don't do this and that it's not commonly known. Botox works great to dramatically reduce underarm sweating. I find that the effect lasts for about 9 months on average, which is longer than the effect for facial wrinkles. I typically use 50 units per side. Some physicians report the effect lasting only 3-4 months, but I suspect that is because they use less Botox. Another treatment to consider for hyperhidrosis is Precision Tx, a laser procedure done under local anesthesia to ablate the sweat glands.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Botox for excessive sweating

+1

one of he few indications that Botox has been FDA approved for is excessive sweating in the arm pits and palms of the hands. It is called hyperhidrosis and is quite effective, You might get 6 months or a little more out of the injection.

Julio Garcia, MD

Botox highly effective for underarm sweating

+1

For my patients with severe hyperhidrosis that has impacted their lives significantly, Botox treatment is a life changer! My patients no longer have to worry about being embarrassed, they can wear dark color clothes again, and they don't mind going out to meet new people.

Both Botox and Dysport are highly effective and safe treatment for excessive underarm sweating (hyperhidrosis). Botox has been FDA approved since 2004 for treatment of hyperhidrosis and is widely use for this indication. During your treatment, a topical numbing anesthetic may be applied. Then small injections of Botox is placed directly under the skin of the underarm, usually about 15-20 injections are made to each area. The process takes about 10-15 minutes with minimal discomfort.

Most patients will notice an improvement in about 2-4 weeks. While results may vary, patients will notice at least 6-7 months of improvement. Many of my patients report results up to 9-12 months.

Good luck!

-Dr. Margaret Mann

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Tired of Sweaty Armpits

+1

Yes, Botox is effective for this condition known as "hyperhidrosis". Be weary however, it is short lived result of a 3-4 months, and requires retreatment with Botox to keep this condition controlled. Recently, Botox has had a few "black box" warnings added to it's FDA label and these are worth reviewing before embarking on chronic recurrent treatment for this condition.

Alternatives to Botox include Drysol - Alum based solution, and iontophoresis. These treatments are not ideal for a variety of reasons.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Absolutely! It is one of the best treatments for underarm sweating.

+1

Botox is an EXCELLENT choice for underarm sweating. The procedure takes about 10-15 minutes and requires multiple injections. The effect lasts anywhere from 3-6 months and the cost can vary depending on how many units are injected into each axilla (generally 25-50 units on each side).

Before you try Botox (a more expensive choice), try using Drysol (Prescription) or Certain Dri (OTC) every night to every other night. That might be a great alternative if it works for you.

Good luck!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Most Certainly

+1

Botox works to stop sweating the same way it works to control wtinkles. It essentially works as an anti-cholinergic. It inhibits the binding of acteylcholine to its intended target, in this case the eccrine gland.

It is recommended that 50 units of Botox be administered into each axilla. Many of us will use Lidocaine to diminish the pain. Also, if one uses a separate 31 gauge needle, the pain is less than allergy testing.

I am not sure if other physicians who adminster this feel the same way, but I have had much longer lasting results when I dilute 2 cc than the recommended 4 cc's. When done in this manner, the reulsts last 9 months, compared to 4-6 months the Allergan prescribed way.

Finally, I would like to mention that this is usually a covered service if one other means of treatment has failed ( usually Drysol but sometimes the anitcholinergic Robinul).

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox for excessive underarm sweating

+1

Botox works very well for excessive underarm sweating. Quite a few number of units is required (approx 50 per side), but the results last 6 months or longer. Other things to consider include topical aluminum chloride solutions, pills (including Robinul although there are potential side effects) and and iontophoresis (administration of low voltage electricity to the involved areas, probably more appropriate for excessive sweating of the palms/soles).

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Botox for axillary hyperhidrosis

+1

Absolutely!. Excessive sweating of the arms, termed hyperhidrosis, is one of the principal indications for Botox treatment. This requires ongoing treatments which may last anywhere from 6-12 months.