Is Botox an Effective Option for Wrinkle Prevention?

I'm curious as to the usage of Botox for wrinkle prevention, in particular the forehead. I've been noticing a couple of wrinkles take shape on the upper half of my forehad with mild movement, so it's an issue I'd like to address, if possible. My thinking is that using some botox will minimize movement and prevent/delay future wrinkles from forming. I'd also like to know if the effects of botox decrease with increased usage? Will it require more units to achieve the same result later on?

Wrinkles become permanent when movement etches the temporary fine lines into the skin...

+1

botox works by preventing the temporary wrinkles for transitioning into permanent lines...and botox is a dramatic and effective way to put the muscles at ease...the dose necessary probably will be minimal and will probably stay that way

Botox is Safe and Effective for Preventing Wrinkles

+1

Botox is a very effective and rather safe method for preventing wrinkles. Many women is their 20s use Botox as a preventative measure. Botox keeps the muscles in areas such as your forehead smooth and this decreases the effects of aging over time.  Depending on your case this will determine how regular your Botox treatments should be. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a highly trained facial plastic surgeon.

Carlo Honrado, MD

Botox and wrinkle prevention

+1

Using Botox regularly before permanent static wrinkles have developed, will certainly prevent them from forming.  In most patients, Botox is well tolerated for years and they don't develop any tolerance to it. Others do develop tolerance and may need higher doses or different types of botulinum toxin to get an effect.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and prevention

+1

Botox injections will relax your muscles to reduce the ability to contribute to "static" lines. I would have a full assessment with a reputable provider and be sure you understand the longevity of Botox and that everyone has different requirements. Botox can help prevent more lines from forming, you have to keep up with it though.

Sam Naficy, MD

Is Botox an effective option for wrinkle prevention?

+1

Botox may be preventative. For example, if an individual frequently frowns, the Botox can decrease the frowning, thus decreasing the lines that will appear in the future. If there is an area that is bothering you, it does not hurt to try Botox. However, I would only perform the injections if the patient needed them. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Botox is great for wrinkle prevention.

+1

Botox can certainly prevent wrinkles, especially in the forehead.  Usually small amounts are required.  With repeated injections, you may require less Botox and have longer intervals between treatments.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Late Breaking News!!! Botox is Effective Option for Wrinkle Prevention

+1

Hi Holly,

Botox is the most effective wrinkle prevention treatment for forehead lines.  Dysport and Xeomin are other neuromodulators that work as well.  The effect of the injections does not decrease with increased usage, and in our experience it is extremely rare that more units are required to achieve the same results.  Choose your injector carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Using Botox to prevent wrinkles

+1

We are seeing more and more of this in general in the cosmetic world. People want to prevent, rather than treat, problems. I have some patients getting Botox in their early 20s. While they don't have big lines or wrinkles, they want to prevent them from starting. The number of units used is lower than I do on others, because I'm just trying to inhibit a problem, rather than treat something existing. It's hard to say what will happen later on, but if you start younger, you should be able to get away with using a lower dosage in the future too.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox is a very effective treatment for the prevention of wrinkles

+1

Botox is the most effective treatment to prevent wrinkles in the forehead, and it's a good idea to begin treating those wrinkles before they become deeply imprinted in the skin.  As you mentioned, those wrinkles only appear with movement.  With continued movement of the muscle underlying the skin, the skin will become permanently creased and wrinkles.  When this happens, Botox alone may not be sufficient to remove those wrinkles because they will be present even when your muscles are at rest.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox for Wrinkle Prevention

+1

Hi Holly.  We have many patients that  use Botox in the same way you are describing - as a preventative measure.  As long as you can see the fine lines forming, Botox will resolve them and help them from getting worse.

As for Botox resistance, we have had a very small number of patients grow resistant and in all cases, patients were using large amounts of the product over very short periods of time (less than 3 months apart).

Harold J. Kaplan, MD