What to Do About Droopy Eyelids After Botox?

I had Botox injection about 7 weeks ago to eliminate frown lines and wrinkles from my forehead. Now I am suffering from severe eyelid drooping. I had Botox once before a few years ago and nothing like this happened. I look like a monster. What can I do to bring my eyelids back to normal?

Let's be sure of what it is

+1

Although eyelid droop can occur after injection of Botox into the glabellar region it is not necessarily the problem. Unless the injector is completely unskilled it's uncommon to get droop of both lids. With that said it is possible and the only thing that will help is possibly lopidine and time.

However, often "when all you have is a hammer all the world's a nail." Meaning that perhaps you need surgery instead of . If there are significant forehead wrinkles this is often a sign of continuous firing of the frontalis muscle (the one that lifts the brows). Botoxing this muscle will then cause brow droop and thus lid issues as well.

So make sure your plastic surgeon understands it you are a candidate for Botox or not.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Botox and eye drooping

+1

Some botox might be injected to the outer eyebrows and to the area above the nose and between the eyebrows (if there still is activity in those muscles) as these muscle groups pull down the forehead so Botox has a lifting action on them and in turn this may help raise the forehead and eyelids as well. Also there is a prescription eye drop that you can get from your doctor that can help lift the upper eyelids a couple of millimeters. The drooping may resolve in another few weeks, but may take another two or three months to fully resolve on its own.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Eyelid droop after botox

+1

This is one of the unwanted side effects but it will go away with time. Usually after 2 weeks time it will subside. If it is really bothersome, I would talk to the plastic surgeon you used for the injection and have him or her prescribe eye drops which can temporarily help elevate the eyelid. You will have to use the drop intermittently until the botox is gone from the muscle that raised the eyelid.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Eyedrops and Tincture of Time

+1

Rest assured your eyelids will return to normal. It might take two weeks or it might be three months but like the South, they will rise again.

What happened is that the Botox inadvertantly drifted onto the Levator Palpebrae muscles. These are the muslces which lift your eyelids. This paralysis has affected your ability to raise your eyelid. The affect will exist depending on how much Botox reached those muscles and the strength of the Botox injected.

In the meantime, an antidote exists in a drug called apraclinidine ( Iopidine). These are eyedrops which causes Mueller's muscles to contract temporarily lilfting the upper eyelid. Instill one or two drops into the eygalach. You might need to repeat this four times a day as the affect is rather short-lived.

If this drug does not work, or you are one of the fairly numerous people who develop an allergy to it, Neo-Synephrine ( phenylephrine) can be tried. Make sure you do not have glaucoma, cardiac arrhythmias, or hypertension.

Naphazoline ( Naphcon) is another choice.

I hope this helps and again, realize this problem is only temporary.

`

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist