Should I Trust my New Botox Doctor?

I found a new Botox ophthamologist in a new country, but he wants $800 cash and I am new here and I have not met anyone who has had Botox from him.

I loved my Botox doc in NYC. He always took my card, always said if I had any problem, I could come back...it only happened once. The result was obvious in a day or 2 and lasted 6+ months.

I went for several years, beginning in my late 40's. I went to a cheap Botox place first and got no results at all. I went back and they gave me a lot of excuses, so I almost gave up. But then, I got very lucky. I paid twice as much when I went to an ophthalmologist and I've looked beautiful ever since. Until I moved to San Juan.

Now I am afraid of this new Doc. He has diplomas all around the room, and he says he went to/graduated from the Mayo clinic. I haven't had it yet. I'm scheduled for tomorrow, but unless he guarantees in writing that he will redo it to my satisfaction free of charge, I don't think I should give him $800.00 cash.

Is this normal? Should I trust my new doc?

Methodically check out your doctor's credentials

+2

I would carefully check out his credentials by verifying his education, training, etc. Ask to speak to patients that he has treated. If your level of trust is not there, then do not get the treatment. I wish you the very best and I hope this helps!

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Postponing Botox might be wise for now

+2

Sounds like you are already uneasy about this situation, so clearly, you should hold off until you can check out this physician more carefully.

Botox treatments are certainly not an emergency. You should be able to check out his/her credentials. If you can't find any, then I would be wary of getting treated there.

Recommendations from happy patients are also important, though it might take a while to meet such people if you are new to the area. Perhaps a call to your "old" doctor's office might lead to a suggestion who to see in the new locale.

Good luck, take your time, do your homework, and I'm sure you will find someone that will do a good job for you.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Botox

+1

First you have to feel comfortable with the doctor.  But, no one can guarantee perfect results to each patients complete satisfaction. I will usually have patients come back in 2 weeks to see if they are satisfied.

Prepay for Botox

+1

Hi Kathleen,

It sounds a little bit fishy to have to prepay that amount of money for Botox. It's reasonable when starting with a new physician to ask what happens if you are not satisfied with the procedure.

If it feels too soon for you to be comfortable, then maybe it is. Ask around a bit more and see if you might be able to find a physician based on word of mouth from friends and family. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

No hurry for Botox

+1

If you have any doubts about the doctor that do not rush into having the injections. Go in for the consultation and then see how you feel.

David Shafer, MD

Take your time finding a Botox provider

+1

There's no rush to finding a Botox doc. Everyone and their grandmother wants to do botox because they want to make money from it. Board Certified Plastic Surgeons make little money from Botox. It tends to be an adjunct for us but is not how we make money.

Take your time and look around for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, not some guy who wants to be a plastic surgeon.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Finding a Botox doctor

+1

I would call other cosmetic physicians' offices in the area and get their opinion about this doctor, and seek a patient of this doctor for a reference. I would also refuse to give $800 to a doctor who has not even evaluated you to determine how many units would be appropriate. Unless you get a good review of this doctor, I would suggest you take your business elsewhere. This is not a medical emergency - you have time.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

The price is about right for better quality treatment

+1

Dear Kathleen,

A board certified general ophthalmologist can do a fine job of treatment with BOTOX. However, I would be more comfortable recommending a board certified general ophthalmologist who is also fellowship trained in oculoplastic surgery and is an elected member of the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. There are 2 such individuals with these credentials in Puerto Rico:

Noel Perez, M.D. - He trained at the University of Cenetral Caribe and did his ophthalmology residency at the University of Puerto Rico. Following this he did and ocular oncology fellowship with Jerry Shield at the Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, and a two year oculoplastic surgery fellowship with Gerry Harris at the Medical College of Wisconsin Eye Institute in Milwaukee. His office is located in Guaynabo.

Joseph Campbell, M.D. - He obtained his medical degree at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. He did his ophthalmology training at the Washington Hospital Center. He then went on to do a two year oculoplastic surgery fellowship at the New York Eye & Ear Infirmary. He has a teaching appointment at the University of Puerto Rico. His office is located in Guaynabo. Both of these individuals have great credentials. I would recommend that you contact their offices and see who seems to be the best match for you.

Finding a New Botox Doctor

+1

Kathleen I think that a doctor's credentials are one factor. I would also check with the doctor's other patients and check the internet for doctors in your area. I think that Board Certification is also very important. Check with the American Board of Medical Specialties at www.abms.com to find out if your doctor is really certified.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Ask around

+1

First, Botox doesn't work until about four to seven days after injection. It may last 4 to 6+ months.

I don't know what country you are in, or what the local standards. Perhaps you could do an internet search, or interview with other plastic surgeons. It would be helpful if you could find one who is certified.

Scott E. Kasden, MD